T-5 vs LED

icepikbiker

So lately I've been throwing around the idea of swapping out my lighting for something new. When I started in the hobby I was using a cheap knock off MH/VHO fixture, it died in a power outage. After several tries with other MH setups and VHO setups I found a good deal on Amazon for a non-dimmable 6 bulb T-5 with 8 double led moon lights. I bought it and the lights that came with it were 3 low power 12000k and 3 really low power actinics, so after a couple months I've changed out all of the tubes to better bulbs. Currently this is on my 72gal bow front, about 5.5" off the water surface, but will be ordering a 150 (48x24x30) or 180 (72x24x24) by the end of February. My plans for the new tank will be SPS mid to top and LPS/softies on the bottom.

Front to back 48" fixture:

Channel one: 07:00-19:00

ATI Blue Plus

ATI Coral Plus

ATI Actinic

Channel two: 09:00-17:00

ATI Coral Plus

ATI Blue Plus

ATI Coral Plus

Channel Three: 04:00-20:00

8x2 blue LEDs

So After all that, my question is should I keep this T-5 set up or should I spend the money to get some LEDs? If I do switch I am planning on starting with a cheaper set and working my way up to some nicer more expensive ones like Ecotech Radions or Orphek Atlanliks.

I was thinking of starting with 2 OR T247 for the 150 or 3 OR T247 for the 180.

Will the 54 watt T-5s penetrate the 30+ inches of the 150 or would it be long enough for the 72 inches of the 180, I know there will be shading in the upper sides?

Are the options on the OR T247s worth switching for and whats their average lifespan?

What are the mounting options for the OR T247s?

Are there any other things I should consider about switching to LEDs?

Due to bulb costs alone many have made the switch to LED.  Ocean Revive is a great choice, I have no experience with reefstar but hear great things.  The full spectrum units on ebay are also good, I have 6 of them here and am quite happy after swapping out a few leds.  

The are 98 bucks on ebay right now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141369127540?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Good luck on your hunt!

Edited by theclark

The t-247's have a built in timer but are only on and off. Manual dimming. The Reefstar's have a ramp up / ramp down feature on the controller. A little more money but it gives you the sunrise sunset feature.

I have the T-247's on my frag tank and the Reefstar's on my display.

Also, check with Kenny at Reefstar about his trial program where he will loan you a fixture to try out over your tank before you buy. He's the only vendor out there that I know of that will do that.

Edited by rworegon

I like the price if those as starter set but I was looking to not have to dim or adjust then manually every day.

The OR T247 have built in timers and auto dim correct?

I just run mine on a timer (happens to be apex but any low cost timer will do the job).  No dimming required.  It is a cool feature but did not equate to a 'must' for me personally.

Reefstar loaner program is a killer deal, doesn't hurt to try right?