Heater

Mitrillion

I am currently using a Won Pro-Heat Titanium Heater with an external temperature control that I am very pleased with.  There are some very good glass heaters available.

The rule of thumb when selecting a heater has been 5W per gallon. I'd say get a 150W for your 38 gallon. If you have too low a wattage, it the heater will need to remain on a longer time. Too high a wattage, the tank can easily overheat if the thermostat malfunctions.  Any comments on this?

I am currently using a Won Pro-Heat Titanium Heater with an external temperature control that I am very pleased with. There are some very good glass heaters available.

The rule of thumb when selecting a heater has been 5W per gallon. I'd say get a 150W for your 38 gallon. If you have too low a wattage, it the heater will need to remain on a longer time. Too high a wattage, the tank can easily overheat if the thermostat malfunctions. Any comments on this?

I've always had the best luck with titanium heaters that have the external controller. The most ideal is obviously having a secondary backup like a controller shutting it off if temp swings too high. It's unfortunate that the fault on them causes heaters to stay on full boar.

I personally don't run heaters at all. My house stays between 68-72 year round and my tank stays about 76. No reason to run one and have any risk has always been my thinking. Corals adapt fine to the slow temp swings (larger water volume also helps).

It depends on how cold your house gets try putting it in and see if it stays stable and but if it don't buy the most expensive one you can. leading cause of tank crashes are cheap heaters.

I agree 100%.

I have lost more to heater malfunction than anything else. Getting a titanium heater prevents breakage, but still... Always Use a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI)!!!

Will the gfci make sure the heater dosnt over heat the tank?

No but if it's glass and blows up it won't continually shock your tank :)

A controller of some sort is the only way to prevent them from going rogue. There are cheaper versions if you don't want to buy a whole system controller. Or as stated before, find one with a built in external controller and separate probe.