Return pumps

Ninjabeaver

Never used the compact, but I've got two eheim 1262 pumps doing duty as return pumps. They are pretty bulletproof.

+1.  I am using the 1262. It's quiet and has given me ZERO issues.  I have a DC pump to replace it with and I haven't done it because "If it aint broke, don't fix it".  eheim makes good stuff.

I have a few Eheim 1262's but I did replace my return pump with a Jeabo DC model. I find it to be a bit quieter and I like the feed option. It also uses less energy. Every pump on my system is now a DC, even the skimmer. I am kind of a freak about noise, so, it was worth it to me.

Before switching to DC pumps, Eheims were my go to. I have owned several different models and always been happy. Never a problem IME. 

When the sump turnover is low, it gives your skimmer and other filtration (biological/mechanical/chemical) time to clean the water. With sumps, some factors for determining minimum flow that I use are maintaing temperature in the display, and enough flow to efficiently pull detrius out of the display. The primary flow is from the wave makers, etc.

On my 120g I have a Jebao 6000 on the lowest setting. I estimate after head loss and scwd that I get a not less then 3x turnover an hour. I'm pretty happy with it. I could go higher and get to 10x literally with the push of a button, but I like the lower flow through the sump.

For water movement in the tank I use 2 WP 40's and a Koralis.

If your looking for more movement from the return, you might look into the penductors. I think they are sold as flow accelerators. They attach to your loc line and increase the power of the water movement out of the return.

IME I prefer to keep the flow through the sump as low as possible, basically fast enough for the heater to work.

JMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the flow through the sump is good but flow in the tank is lacking those Penductors are pretty cool IME. I've run them On all my non seahorse tanks for 10 years or so. The spinning one doesn't work IME but the strait penductors are pretty nifty

If the flow through the sump is good but flow in the tank is lacking those Penductors are pretty cool IME. I've run them On all my non seahorse tanks for 10 years or so. The spinning one doesn't work IME but the strait penductors are pretty nifty

Maybe I will get one of those for my 75 that I picked up today!

On my 120g I have a Jebao 6000 on the lowest setting. I estimate after head loss and scwd that I get a not less then 3x turnover an hour. I'm pretty happy with it. I could go higher and get to 10x literally with the push of a button, but I like the lower flow through the sump.

For water movement in the tank I use 2 WP 40's and a Koralis.

If your looking for more movement from the return, you might look into the penductors. I think they are sold as flow accelerators. They attach to your loc line and increase the power of the water movement out of the return.

IME I prefer to keep the flow through the sump as low as possible, basically fast enough for the heater to work.

JMO

After looking at the numbers of the Jebao's either my set up is very restrictive or their numbers are off, maybe the flow just looks slower then what it really is. 

After looking it up the DC-6000 runs 1585 GPH with six settings that's about 264 GPH/ level. At MY head loss (6ft) it looses about half its power, so ~132gph turnover. *All based off Jebao's flow graph.*
I'm running a DC-12000 on the fourth level in my ~100 gal total system volume. Based on their graph again at MY head height I'm running about 1232 gal/hr turnover.

Thank you for posting your what I thought were low numbers, but actually your numbers made me realize I'm running way to much water through my sump. Maybe Ill try one of those accelerators to fool my eyes. lol. Right now I've got two of the flat tips.

Really glad it helped you. 

I've always tried to keep the sump turnover low and then run a closed loop for the flow in the tank. I switched from that to powerheads for all the wave action and love them now. So much I do not mind the look of a powerhead in my display, which was something I said i would never have. Just to easy. 

Edit:

Here is a link to what I use Flow Accelerator