Upgrade Time!

Arsonmfg

• 4 months later...

Absolutely amazing Reef!

My congratulations.

What is a maintenance of this Reef please?

Хорошего рифа!

Thank you, if you scroll through the previous pages you'll see my maintenance schedule is pretty simple. No water changes, I feed hikari marine plankton to the fish daily, and once per week I feed the corals 7ml of Aquavitro Fuel, 10ml each of Red Sea Reef energy A&B and 10ml of Oyster Feast just mixed together in a cup and dumped in front of one of the pumps. 

Other than that, I clean the skimmer and keep the calcium reactor topped off. All nutrients and waste removal is done through the filter socks and the skimmer, no chemicals are used although I do use a little bit of Brightwell carbon a couple days month just to keep the water looking clear.

• Like 2

Thank you for the answer, I read that. Just thought you are doing anything else for maintenance. That's amazing.

What is your water parametrs are?

Did you ever dose bacterias treatment, as example Microbacter 7, FM Bakto Blend, FM Bakto Therapy or similar?

I'm keeping my 90G Reef with no WC for more then two years, last 8months try to keep sps's. But I'm dosing vinegar to keep low level of PO4 and NO3.

How often do you do the filter socks changes?

Your fishes are amazing too. How do you keep tangs, UV sterilaser or Ozonaizer, or any other secret?

Thank you!

Хорошего рифа!

Will do! I'm hoping to start sawing corals off of the rocks to moving them to the QT tank tomorrow.

Thanks!

This is the biggest rimless tank I've owned, while cleaning can be a total PITA I love the clean look of a rimless tank. Structurally I'm not "too" worried but if I sit and think about it I'll drive myself nuts so out of sight out of mind right?

I started keeping shallow tanks about 6-7 years ago and until I can pay someone to clean my tank every day and place every coral exactly where I want them I'll never own another tall tank again, bruised arm pits suck! Plus I really do have a thing for shallow tanks. The awesome top downs don't suck either =)

So as for today... I got all the plumbing done tonight.

Here's a picture of the sump I built, it's quite the monster at 48x24 the large main chamber is a frag area that's 24x19, it'll be lit by an AI 26.

So tomorrow I'll be getting the coral QT tank setup, dipping all my corals and keeping them in QT for the next week. 

IMG_3302_zpse07a05d6.jpg

I just noticed this but [language filter] that is a lot of wakeboards lol

• Like 2

Thank you for the answer, I read that. Just thought you are doing anything else for maintenance. That's amazing.

What is your water parametrs are?

Did you ever dose bacterias treatment, as example Microbacter 7, FM Bakto Blend, FM Bakto Therapy or similar?

I'm keeping my 90G Reef with no WC for more then two years, last 8months try to keep sps's. But I'm dosing vinegar to keep low level of PO4 and NO3.

How often do you do the filter socks changes?

Your fishes are amazing too. How do you keep tangs, UV sterilaser or Ozonaizer, or any other secret?

Thank you!

Хорошего рифа!

No bacterias added of any sort, I haven't tested my tank in ages besides my Alk which usually sits about 7.5dkh, I try to increase it but the tank just soaks it up and seems to be most consistent and happy at the lower dkh so I quit trying to get it up a long time ago.

No UV on the tank, a couple of the tangs had ICH outbreaks when I first got them but they eventually got over it and haven't seen a sign of ICH in ages. I don't really recommend it to anyone else but I don't qt my fish and if they get ICH I feed them heavy and let them get over it on their own. It's definitely a popular form of husbandry but it works for me...

I change the socks once per week.

I just noticed this but [language filter] that is a lot of wakeboards lol

That's a very small portion of what's on the walls. I actually designed and manufactured most of those in my factory years ago. The majority are actually wakeskates.

• Like 1

That's a very small portion of what's on the walls. I actually designed and manufactured most of those in my factory years ago. The majority are actually wakeskates.

Thats awesome! I work for a company in the summer called Action Water Sports in Idaho, teaching people how to ski, wakeboard, and wakesurf so thats why they caught my attention. What company did you own? And do you have any left?

Edited by bowen1022
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Any updates? This tank might be my favorite on the forum since Daniks is down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing much new going on since last months update other than the fact I pissed off a lot of corals and lost a few messing around feeding and supplements more than I probably should of.

Things are already starting to color back up and should be back to normal in a couple weeks,

• Like 1

Wow, just wow.  Corals look stunning.  Absolutely awesome work.  I didnt catch it in the thread, but what brand and model of skimmer are you using on this tank?  I couldnt ID from the sump photos.  

Hopefully the corals will look great again.  Your tank is well on its way to getting TOTM even on ReefCentral.  Keep up the awesome work.  :happy:

• Like 1

Wow, just wow.  Corals look stunning.  Absolutely awesome work.  I didnt catch it in the thread, but what brand and model of skimmer are you using on this tank?  I couldnt ID from the sump photos.  

Hopefully the corals will look great again.  Your tank is well on its way to getting TOTM even on ReefCentral.  Keep up the awesome work.  :happy:

Thanks bud, corals are already starting to look better. It's my own fault I pushed things a little farther than I probably should of.

I just recently switched skimmers, I had been running a SRO XP-2000 Cone with a modified RO DC pump... I felt like I was really starting to push it to it's limit and with the fish getting substantially bigger I figured it was time for an upgrade. So I'm back to running my ATB "small" as they call it 10.5" cone skimmer with the old school Eheim pump. It's noisy but for now it's working till I can decide on the new pump. I was offered the hook up on an RD3 but I'm really not sure if I want to drop that kinda coin on a pump that I'm not completely sold on being that much better than some of the other options out there.