Reef supplements: What do you use?

Higher Thinking

I prefer the writings of Randy Holmes Farley for anything chemistry. I don't mean to discredit others, or be an elitist, but he's never steered me wrong in all the years I have been conversing with him, and he always writes me back if I have a question/problem.

I went back and double checked. I was off on the 120ml number, that was before he left vodka for vinegar (I blame AA). Vinegar dosing he got up to 410mL per day, which is about 2 mL per gallon for his system. At that point he started noticing the tank doing more poorly. Can you imagine how long it would take to get to a 410mL dose if you were increasing by .4mL a week? That is when you get the people stating that vodka did not help them IMO. They give up, they go onto something else.

I helped a guy on here with carbon dosing last year that after 9 weeks and him being at 9mL a day he gave up to try something different. A couple months later he returned to carbon dosing and found his dose to be 10mL. He was that close the last time.

IME on my 65g with a 30g sump I started with 1mL and increased by 1mL each week until I hit my target. Did the same thing on my current tank. On my last system which was 265g or so I started with 3mL and then increased by 1mL daily. That is the routine I followed and that is what I recommend. If you have a 50g you might wanna do that at .5mL instead of 1mL. If you have a 25g, then maybe start at .25mL

IMO you also really need to not be running GFO when carbon dosing. The chemical removal of the phosphate won't give the bacteria enough of what they need to grow and carbon dosing will not be effective.

IMO carbon dosing is more of maintenance then to fix an exsisting problem.

JME

Cool, thanks a lot. Yeah vinegar is definitely much more than vodka. It's because of the amount of ethanol, I think. I think I remember reading that vinegar is dosed at like ten times the ratio of vodka...i can't really remember though. I'll look to boost the vodka a bit.

• 2 months later...