Wet Skimming

Trenton Henderson

I think it has a lot to do with how "wet" you skim. I think if you and going at it fast then your probably not doing to much, but if you are just setting your skimmer a little higher then normal and do it over a couple days time then I'm sure it wouldn't hurt anything. I've thought if you were to mix up a small batch of saltwater, maybe 5 gallons, and use it as top off then set the skimmer high it would kinda work as an automatic water change. You would really need to watch the salinity like a hawk tho, skimmers don't take out much salt in normal operation but setting it high would take out actual saltwater. Then you would have to deal with normal evaporation, so I think if you were to watch it and not let the salinity go to high then it could work.

• Like 1

I think it has a lot to do with how "wet" you skim. I think if you and going at it fast then your probably not doing to much' date=' but if you are just setting your skimmer a little higher then normal and do it over a couple days time then I'm sure it wouldn't hurt anything. I've thought if you were to mix up a small batch of saltwater, maybe 5 gallons, and use it as top off then set the skimmer high it would kinda work as an automatic water change. You would really need to watch the salinity like a hawk tho, skimmers don't take out much salt in normal operation but setting it high would take out actual saltwater. Then you would have to deal with normal evaporation, so I think if you were to watch it and not let the salinity go to high then it could work. [/quote']

^what he said, look up "Wet skim water change" on Google. I'm sure if removes a bit more than usual, however you should look into the issue causing the nitrates. Maybe consider trying MB7?