Sponge control

Jack-the-reefer

I have a few sponges that are starting to get a little out of control. One is yellow and sort or bulbous, the other is white and just grows in one layer over the rocks. I haven't worried about them, but they are starting to crowd some of my zoas.

Is there a good way to remove them? I pulled out one of the rocks to scrape of one of them, but the entire bottom of the rock was pretty much covered, so I'm sure it would just come back. Has anyone ever picked up a sponge eating nudi, then passed it on once the sponges were gone?

I can't figure out what they are even feeding on. I feed everything in the tank with a skewer, so there's almost no extra food waste.

Sponges are filter feeders, so they don't need direct feedings but will just pull the nutrients from the waste in the water. Sometimes foods that are higher in silicates will really help them to take off. Foods like phyto and oyster feast in my tank seem to help them grow as well.

When my population gets to high I just syphon them Out during a water change.

While it is annoying when they encroach in corals sponges are very good for you tank, not only do they filter the water but they help to feed corals as well.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk