vanz 93g Frameless Cube

vanz

If it was me, I would approach this one of two ways... I would either move everything over with new water and buy a melanarus wrasse, coris wrasse, or some other flatworm eater... let it go nuts..

OR..

I would start over. Start fresh.. Whatever rocks you do reuse, I would soak in a bucket of fresh water with a smidge of bayer in it. Kill all of those little bastards. Then start cycling the tank after you've rinse the crap out of those rocks in fresh un-poisoned water. Once you have it all set up, dip your corals real good and transfer everything over.

If it was me, I would approach this one of two ways... I would either move everything over with new water and buy a melanarus wrasse, coris wrasse, or some other flatworm eater... let it go nuts..

OR..

I would start over. Start fresh.. Whatever rocks you do reuse, I would soak in a bucket of fresh water with a smidge of bayer in it. Kill all of those little bastards. Then start cycling the tank after you've rinse the crap out of those rocks in fresh un-poisoned water. Once you have it all set up, dip your corals real good and transfer everything over.

I'll go with the first option, I don't want another cycle. Though I already have a yellow coris, but he doesn't seem interested in the flatworms. I'll look into getting another wrasse.

Vanz I would start fresh...flatworms are a massive headache.

New tank, new beginnings! Why bring over old problems?

I'd just get some dry rock and seed it with some live rock that's not infested.

What's one month of waiting for a cycle as compared to battling flatworms for who knows how long. Patience my friend:)

Many people say six lines, melanarus, or corks wrasse eat flatworms...this is not always true! Depends in the wrasse. If you have the brown flatworms, they are photosynthetic!!!

There is no way I would ever nuke rock personally. The bacteria and micro fauna that grow on liverock over the years are invaluable IMO. Those colonies don't replace themselves in a month, or even a year. The older my tanks have gotten the easier they are to care for IME. I know nuking rock was very popular back int he 80's and early 90's but I personally don't think it is a wise move IME.

IMO if your worried about the flat worms the most radical thing to do would be to remove the liverock, put it in a tub with something like flatworm exit and tank water, then remove that rock, leaving behind the treated water and put that rock in the display. You can dip the corals on transfer as well. Treat the sand in the same manor. Seems like a ton of work, but your already going to have everything out of the tank and likely in a bucket or Rubbermaid (which I have a ton extra if you need some). Then start the new tank with new water. That would be about as radical as I would recommend going. I might toss some prime in there on day one and two after the livestock move.

What I personally would actually do would be to use a small guage hose and siphon out all the flatworms out of the 125g that you can. Really get in there. Remove as many as possible. If your worried about water loss you can attach a micron bag to the end of the hose and put it in your sump so your not actually draining any water (plus it is kinda cool to see the hundreds of little buggers in there). Then I would just move the livestock and start with as much new salt water as you siphoned out in the new tank. Then get a coris wrasse.

IME I don't think flatworms are that big of a deal. They are fairly easy to maintain with maintenance on regular water changes and the fish that are predators of them are fish that I like to keep.

Let me know if you want help setting the tank up. I'm still in your area pretty regularly, and I think I still owe ya one ;)

Vanz I would start fresh...flatworms are a massive headache.

New tank, new beginnings! Why bring over old problems?

I'd just get some dry rock and seed it with some live rock that's not infested.

What's one month of waiting for a cycle as compared to battling flatworms for who knows how long. Patience my friend:)

Many people say six lines, melanarus, or corks wrasse eat flatworms...this is not always true! Depends in the wrasse. If you have the brown flatworms, they are photosynthetic!!!

They are the brown rust colored ones. The whole tank is infested with them. They are just not pleasant to look at, but I don't see them doing any harm, except they are starting to creep onto the softies.

There is no way I would ever nuke rock personally. The bacteria and micro fauna that grow on liverock over the years are invaluable IMO. Those colonies don't replace themselves in a month, or even a year. The older my tanks have gotten the easier they are to care for IME. I know nuking rock was very popular back int he 80's and early 90's but I personally don't think it is a wise move IME.

IMO if your worried about the flat worms the most radical thing to do would be to remove the liverock, put it in a tub with something like flatworm exit and tank water, then remove that rock, leaving behind the treated water and put that rock in the display. You can dip the corals on transfer as well. Treat the sand in the same manor. Seems like a ton of work, but your already going to have everything out of the tank and likely in a bucket or Rubbermaid (which I have a ton extra if you need some). Then start the new tank with new water. That would be about as radical as I would recommend going. I might toss some prime in there on day one and two after the livestock move.

What I personally would actually do would be to use a small guage hose and siphon out all the flatworms out of the 125g that you can. Really get in there. Remove as many as possible. If your worried about water loss you can attach a micron bag to the end of the hose and put it in your sump so your not actually draining any water (plus it is kinda cool to see the hundreds of little buggers in there). Then I would just move the livestock and start with as much new salt water as you siphoned out in the new tank. Then get a coris wrasse.

IME I don't think flatworms are that big of a deal. They are fairly easy to maintain with maintenance on regular water changes and the fish that are predators of them are fish that I like to keep.

Let me know if you want help setting the tank up. I'm still in your area pretty regularly, and I think I still owe ya one ;)

I was thinking of doing just that with the siphon part, I just forgot to do it before I disconnected the sump. Would have been easier, but I can still siphon it into a bucket and poor it back in I guess. I don't have new water made up right now.

I might have to take you up on the offer about the rubbermaid containers. Let me know the next time you are in town. If you need flex pvc for your new build, I got a ton that you can have.

• 3 weeks later...
Did you get all your stuff transferred from the 125? How about that flatworm issue?

Nope not yet. I've only taken some rocks up. The rocks with coral and fish are still in the 125. Ill take care of the flat worms in the new tank later. Either more wrasse or flatworm exit.

• 3 weeks later...

fetch?filedataid=13367

Just got my livestock transferred. Everything seems to be doing fine. I still need to capture my coris wrasse from the other tank though.

Got diatoms on my sand though. Will still need to play with the aquascape as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post-71-141867792115_thumb.jpg