How should I frag zoas?

momo3419

I think I have a group i would like to frag. being new HOW DO I FRAG THEM???? I also need a frag rack and all the tools. where should i place them once fraged so on. I also have a big chunk of a coral that I was given that I i need an ID that I plan to frag I can send an E-mail with a picture of the zoas and the coral that needs an ID. Thanks.

Zoas can be easy depending on what substrate they are on. Get a new razor blade/x-acto knife/scalpel and cut through the "mat" or basically were you want to frag and then you can use bone cutters, pliers, a chisel or whatever to break what they are growing on.

be careful not to get any of the zoa/paly "juice" in an open cut, mouth, eye etc-it can be quite dangerous depending on ones immune system

read up a little on paly toxins

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=palytoxin

A frag rack it's not really necessary unless you end up with no place to put your corals. A hole in a rock can hold a frag plug. If you choose to glue your new frag to rock rubble, the sand bed can be acceptable, unless you have a large evil pistol shrimp that likes to steal zoa frags and drag them into it's lair. Oh wait, that was me.

One trick I have found is to get an iodine dip like lugol's or similar. add to a bowl of tank water until the color of weak tea and place your fresh cut frags in it for 5 - 10 minutes. This helps them heal and avoid infections. My die off rate fell to almost zero after I began doing this.

But the most important thing you NEED to do is read up on paly toxin and take basic precautions.

• 3 weeks later...

a09023d76fa8033c7459fa580273d61a_zpsb754d67e.jpg

To frag some Zoas you should take the rock out of the water for best results.. Whether it's at a big scale like a piece of LR

a1ad9b8873750b077cff4125c7d41d48_zps6b0cffe0.jpg

Or to a small frag.

2afe8eefe62ad641440547047c7b2505_zpsc2096a0d.jpg

You should use a pair of bone/wire cutters to break the rock underneath them.

Then with a razor blade or scalpel you can cut the flesh between the polyps you want to sperate.

You then seal it up and stick it to the new base with a dap of superglue gel.

When it's loose it will die from rolling around or just not attaching.. A flimsy polyp could be a dead polyp soon..

They should look like a tight knit structure of mushroomy root like structures consisting of watery flesh.