Joel/Waves personal tank build

WAVES

Looks fantastic Joel! The additional pics and explanations help to get a feel for how it all comes together - I really like the incorporation of the closed loop intake into the overflow box... nice design. BTW - does having the returns on the bottom create any substantial back pressure issues for the CL pump? Just curious....

Also, do you have any additional info (source?) for the fans you used in your canopy? I need to replace some in my stand and they sound like a great option.

Thanks for sharing... it's looking awesome!

The strut rods I've used are designed to give way at a certian hieght and will hold up hoods or deck lids on cars. I guess gas springs might be along the same line. The only thing to keep in mind is that there are different kinds for different duties.

Looks fantastic Joel! The additional pics and explanations help to get a feel for how it all comes together - I really like the incorporation of the closed loop intake into the overflow box... nice design. BTW - does having the returns on the bottom create any substantial back pressure issues for the CL pump? Just curious....

Also, do you have any additional info (source?) for the fans you used in your canopy? I need to replace some in my stand and they sound like a great option.

Thanks for sharing... it's looking awesome!

Alberta, I sell the fans here. You can read about that at www.silenx.com , they are pretty sweet, 72cfm at 14db is about half the sound of any other fan on the market. If you want more details shoot me a PM since I can post prices etc here.

Also, the CL through the bottom of the tank does not create any pressure, because the intakes into the pump are being pushed down with the same pressure the water is pushing back up with. Hope that makes sense....

Also called gas springs http://www.internationalgassprings.com/ , I didn't make up the term :)

Mostly I was curious about what he uses to latch the door shut, so it doesn't just pop up on its own. Or maybe the springs aren't strong enough to push it up; they're only strong enough to hold it up?

-Sol

Sol the struts are just from napa, they are the "softest" ones I could find that are short. When the lid is closed they are almost horizontal so there is no pressure pushing UP. The pressure is hard on hidge Im sure so someday I may have to replace the hindge, but for now it all works great!

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Joel:

This is the first I found this thread of your tank. Man thats really a awesome tank. Very well planned out. I really like your rock work. How do you get those big rocks to balance like that and not fall over? Do you connect the rocks with some kind of epoxy or drill for dowels and peg them togather?

Really awesome

Jay

Joel:

This is the first I found this thread of your tank. Man thats really a awesome tank. Very well planned out. I really like your rock work. How do you get those big rocks to balance like that and not fall over? Do you connect the rocks with some kind of epoxy or drill for dowels and peg them togather?

Really awesome

Jay

The rocks are all just stacked. I recommend stacking rock in a bare tank then adding water. If they are stable with no water, they will be very stable once the tank is filled. I also add the sand after the rock, to be sure all the rock is on the tank bottom, rather than on sand, this makes it even more stable once you add the sand.

Joel, I plan to come down there on Wed Dec 31, I will bring the tank that I have been talking about with me so you can see what I am working with. I will also start a thread here in the DIY section with pic's of the tank today so you, if you wish, could take a look and have a heads up on the tank before I get there.