Marine Science Elective in the middle !!!

I got the go ahead on my teaching assignment for next year. Science elective and 7th Grade Physical Science. I get two sections to teach basically anything science related to 7th and 8th graders and three sections of 7th grade basic chem and physics. So.... can you guess what I'm gonna teach?

Yup, aquatic science and robotics!!!!!! Whoa. Am I a geek or what!!!

The elective course will be offered once each nine weeks. I'll run one section of robotics and aquatic science simultaneously. That way I can have plenty of robots and plenty of tanks for all to discover and share.

Robotics is your standard course. Teamwork, algorithims, basic engineering.

The marine science class is wide open. I need help narrowing down topics. There is too much.

What do you think are the most important things for a child to learn about water and the life that lives in it? Gotta be covered in 9 weeks and include some aquatic husbandry!!!

Congrats! I am glad you get to do some fun classes! I don't know what to tell you about what to teach, but make sure that the kids fall in love with corals, and learn how to frag them. Then there will be more of us later to trade with once the real coral reefs finally sucumb to human activity.

:)

Congrats Joel!! Can i take the robotics class? (laugh)

I think a good lesson plan would include basic water chemistry; pH, alk, calcium, mag, nitrate cycle, all those things that enable corals to grow and thrive in our tanks and in the wild.

Marine science is such a diverse field. Showing the students how all life on Earth depends on the dynamic complexities of or oceans and waterways. We are now seeing that it does not have inexhaustible resources. I suppose deciding what will make the greatest impression on the students that will last them a lifetime.

The longer we keep aquariums, the more we realize the complexities that happen within it.

Perhaps a comparison of the dynamics of the aquarium vs. those of natural ecosystems.

I have a copy of "Dynamic Aquaria" by Walter H. Adey and Karen Loveland that I would be glad to loan you. It is a 1991 1st edition. You may want to use an updated 1998 2nd edition though. http://www.amazon.com/Dynamic-Aquaria-Building-Living-Ecosystems/dp/0120437929

The book has had mixed reviews, but I feel it may be helpful.

Best wishes on whatever you decide on!

Thanks people. Topics covered will be tied to things we do not often have time to teach in our regular coursework plus a little reinforcement of old concepts like the water cycle.

I expect 30-35 kids in the class. 9 -10 teams. Oh my!!

Week 1 -Water Cycle and how it can be observed in aquaria./ Water Testing, How to data log.

(How to design an aquarium. )

Week 2- Carbon and Nitrogen Cycles -How does this relate to "cycling." (Set up 3- 4 new aquaria)

Testing kits vs. Technology (i.E. probeware)

Week 3 - Light as a nutrient/ Photosynthesis. (Do light observations.) Corals vs. Alga vs. Plants

(Light readings)

Week 4- What is an ecosystem? What is a biotope ?

(Live sand lab)

Riparian/ Wetlands Ecosystems ( Trip to see Salmon Spawn!!) (Spring Course go to Wetlands in W.Eugene)

Week 5 Ocean Currents/ Tides/ Ocean Dynamics

Flow in an aquarium + Oxygen Levels (Teach/Demo D.O. vs. ORP)

Week 6 The Ocean's Life Zones Tidepools -Abyss

(Study all major zones in the ocean. Create a butcher paper mural.)

Week 7 Fish!!! Anatomy , Structure and Function, Evolution/ Adaptation /Diversity

Study your own fish tank inhabitants. How does each species vary? Why?

Week 8 Invertebrates. (Corals, Bivalves, Plankton!, Crustaceans)

Uh, probably too little time for this one.

Week 9 How to observe animal/plant behavior.

(Inquiry on Animal behavior.) Locomotion, feeding etc.

More emphasis/ time on anything? I know corals are too short but, Hey. Lets not be shellfish. There are other fish in the sea!