What's this?

Holly

What's the blue gunk around the base of the zoos? (scratch)

Yesterday when I cleaned the tank, these zoos all looked great (all open), and this blue stuff wasn't there. I can't find any other blue stuff anywhere else in the tank...

It doesn't look like something good, but hopefully I'm all wrong. (whistle)

post-266-141867766871_thumb.jpg

Sometimes I would have algae growth in my zoanthids. I would blow them off with a turkey baster and get as much off as I could. Do it in a separate bowl though so you're not blowing algae all through your tank. If that's what it even is. I'm sure someone else has a better idea than myself though! :D

Looks like an encrusting sponge. It shuldn't grow faster than your zoas, but if you want to get rid of it, pick it off with a tooth pick, or tweezers.

I thinks it's pretty cool, and I would frag off the zoas before the sponge, but that's me.

The zoos in the middle of it opened back up. Sorry but my dig camera won't take a pic of decent resolution of the tank (flame)

I'd really like to have sponges! The blue-purpley ones I bought in the Fall--my first--seemed to curl up and die within a few weeks, so I figured I must've done something wrong. (I didn't let them touch air.) If this is a sponge, I'll be happy!

I put my finger on the gunk this morning and gently poked at it to try to figure out what it was. It seemed a little squoosy. Where my finger pushed in, it appeared that some whitish dust or fluid or something kinda puffed out of it. Not sure if that's sponge-like or not...

My finger hasn't fallen off, so I guess I can rule out tank plague. :D

post-266-141867736209_thumb.jpg