Help Plz, Seahorses had babies

duffy340

first of all, you'll probably lose this batch, but the rumor is that once a pair starts spawning they keep spawning.

I'd start to set up for the next batch. you can order pods/rotifers/baby brine from online retailers that will ship overnight, probably won't get to you till tuesday.

I'd start your own baby brine factory. get a 2g tank and a plant-spectrum (5600-6500K) CFL light for it, get a live food starter kit and they'll get going.

I've always though it'd be cool to rig the factory with a bulkhead to drain into the display (your eclipse) and return water from the display to the factory with an aqualifter

1st. You can try frozen baby brine but I'm pretty sure they won't eat it.

2nd. Most baby searhorses need a kriesel for the initial juvenile stage and need to be fed several times a day. Depending on the species they will need newly hatched bbs for a little while and then you can start to enrich them. I wouldn't waste your time on pods or rotifers.

Good luck.

1st. You can try frozen baby brine but I'm pretty sure they won't eat it.

2nd. Most baby searhorses need a kriesel for the initial juvenile stage and need to be fed several times a day. Depending on the species they will need newly hatched bbs for a little while and then you can start to enrich them. I wouldn't waste your time on pods or rotifers.

Good luck.

Everything Dave said. (clap)

Also you might be able to reach out to pledosophy for help. I had a breeding pair but decided i wasn't ready for it so i sold them to a breeder

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Live brine from a store is not going to work. I would think that most likely they are Erectus as they seem to be the most common in the hobby. You are going to need newly hatched baby brine most likely less than 12 hours after hatch not adults. The seahorses are much to small for adult brine.

Can you post a picture of the seahorse? A full body shot and then as clear of a shot of the head as you can. A profile of the head is best so I can clearly see the cornet.

At this point, get rid of the fry, no real point to try. If you want to be prepared in the future I can lay out a regiment for you, but not until I know the species.

Some species can accept bbs under 4 hours old to start, some need to be started on rotifers and pods. First food is a big deal. Fry can typically survive for 5 to 7 days without eating at all before they die. Keeping that volume and that die off in a 12g eclipse tank is more likely to kill the parents. The fry will not survive in that type of environment. It is not only a waste of time to try, but also dangerous for the existing stock.

I have been keeping seahorses for the last 10 years or so. I can get you the info you need, but don't want to guess at it and tell you the wrong thing. If you have a member of the kuda complex and I give you advice for an erectus or a barbouri you are going to waste a lot of money and time to kill the fry. Same thing goes the other way.

JME

I believe the species you have are comes. A close up of the head would confirm, but that tail is a pretty good give away. For the head shot I want to see that crown type thing on the top of the head. Some have 4 points, some have 5 in the shape of a star. Some are flat, some are rounded, etc, etc. It is distinctive to the different species.

Due to the tail marking I would be 95% sure or so it is a comes, but I have been fooled by an erectus with similiar markings before. I am not the best at syngnathid ID, which is why I like both.

Comes (pronounced Comb es) usually need pods as a first food. Which means you would need to culture enough pods to feed all of those fry 6 times a day.

Comes are very rare to be CB and are usually imported as WC's. I only know of two people who have sold them as CB and one was later to reveal he was treating the fry with antibiotics (which is very, very dangerous and this news caused him to go out of business and be generally shunned from the community).

I would ask your Mom if she went through the WC precautions. If not, don't bother with the fry. If she did, she will speak of things like prazipro, and fenbenadzole, fresh water dips etc.

Comes fry is a serious under taking. If you want advice on how to do it, I can try to help you with it, but unless you have a serious amount of time, money, and space I would not bother with it.

Sorry if this is not the answer you were looking for. Better to tell you the truth then let you get to far into it IMO.

Best of Luck.

I believe the species you have are comes. A close up of the head would confirm, but that tail is a pretty good give away. For the head shot I want to see that crown type thing on the top of the head. Some have 4 points, some have 5 in the shape of a star. Some are flat, some are rounded, etc, etc. It is distinctive to the different species.

Due to the tail marking I would be 95% sure or so it is a comes, but I have been fooled by an erectus with similiar markings before. I am not the best at syngnathid ID, which is why I like both.

Comes (pronounced Comb es) usually need pods as a first food. Which means you would need to culture enough pods to feed all of those fry 6 times a day.

Comes are very rare to be CB and are usually imported as WC's. I only know of two people who have sold them as CB and one was later to reveal he was treating the fry with antibiotics (which is very, very dangerous and this news caused him to go out of business and be generally shunned from the community).

I would ask your Mom if she went through the WC precautions. If not, don't bother with the fry. If she did, she will speak of things like prazipro, and fenbenadzole, fresh water dips etc.

Comes fry is a serious under taking. If you want advice on how to do it, I can try to help you with it, but unless you have a serious amount of time, money, and space I would not bother with it.

Sorry if this is not the answer you were looking for. Better to tell you the truth then let you get to far into it IMO.

Best of Luck.

Wow that sounds way more dismal then I meant it to be. You would be one of very few in the world to breed them. I would be happy to help you. It would require a lot of work. It is the kind of thing you have to do everyday, without missing a feeding, or cleaning etc. It is a commitment. If your willing to make that commitment, the information is out there and I would be happy to help you along the way.

Going from a 12g eclipse tank to a couple hundred gallons of nurseries, and propagation tanks is a huge jump, so if it is more then you are ready for, there is no shame in that. The time committment is huge, there is a reason I no longer raise fry.

Wow that sounds way more dismal then I meant it to be. You would be one of very few in the world to breed them. I would be happy to help you. It would require a lot of work. It is the kind of thing you have to do everyday, without missing a feeding, or cleaning etc. It is a commitment. If your willing to make that commitment, the information is out there and I would be happy to help you along the way.

Going from a 12g eclipse tank to a couple hundred gallons of nurseries, and propagation tanks is a huge jump, so if it is more then you are ready for, there is no shame in that. The time committment is huge, there is a reason I no longer raise fry.