Cryptic tank filtration.

Kasasah

My understanding of a DSB is also that the bacteria that builds up in it disposes of the waste by turning it to gas form. Removing this large piece of natural biological filtration could cause a large problem. Just like when carbon is left in a reactor for a long period of time it builds up biological filtration instead of mechanical filtration and at that point changing your carbon could could make your system unstable and it's recommended to replace only a portion of your carbon in that case. I do a lot of research from many sources in my spare time and have heard this from many sources. Never have I heard of swapping a DSB because it builds to much waste, nor would I ever do so. I like to look at my tank as how does a real reef work and at what point can I stop changing my water? When I have all the elements to purify the water that the reef uses. IE: Cryptic zone(non photosynthetic organisms pulling nutrients from the water column) Refugium(Also pulling nutrients from the water but require photosynthesis) and A DSB which has small living organisms that physically eat waste and turn it to a gas. Just like how earth worms do to enrich soil, they are beneficial in the health of soil and promoting plant growth. I'm not trying to argue with anyone's thoughts or opinions. I just like the natural side of things. Not so many fancy things :D

I was just thinking of the mangrove swamps, and with a RDSB, that seemed like the likely place they'ed be? I haven't fully researched RDSB other than a method of hooking up a 5g bucket to run water verry slowly through it in the corner to basically be left alone, and i'll notice when it matures and begins it's positve contribution to my system. Have wanted to bring one online for quite some time.

INteresting...........What kind of light did you use on the mangroves? Light cycle?

When I grew mangroves under reef lighting and full salinity they hardly grew. I decided to try something totally different and acclimated them to fresh water (mostly because I hated the way they looked in my little 10g) and direct sunlight...they exploded. I put them in a pot in a window sill and they doubled in size in a month, then my goddam cat ate them (cussing). If I do them again I will use a bulb that mimics sunlight as closely as possible.

If you watch reefcentral they come up for sale frquently, you can get like 5 for $20 shipped with leaves.

I think mangroves make a lot of sense. I also am all for minimal disturbance of the rdsb, as kasasah said, much of the value is when leaving it undisturbed.

I still haven't known anyone to keep a deb over 10yrs that didn't cause issues eventually, and a 5g bucket has way less denitrification space than a tank-sized 6-8" dab, so it'll probably fill faster. Also, the idea is denitrification via reduction of nitrate to nitrogen, not sure it can help with phosphates...maybe?

So, when you have to change it out (mangroves should make it last longer, in theory), I'd plan to keep a 3-4"diameter core undisturbed. I'd drill as many small (1/8"-1/4") holes in a 3-4" PVC pipe as you can and leave the pipe in your deb from day one. When you replace, put another one in a different place, in the new sand. leave the old core alone until a week or two later, then pull it out, preferably leaving the old sand in place. Even if you leave both in, the holes will allow the bacteria (etc) to populate the new sand pretty quickly. If you have to leave the old one in place, mark it so you know which one to take out next time.

Good points by kasasah, et al

Sent using Forum Runner

Mangroves should grow under a pot light ...er...plant lights, ask your local hydroponics store for a bulb or just get a 6500k cfl bulb from home depot/etc. Just like a refugium. Usually you'd run a fife on opposite cycle from you reef, but since the mangrove is using. Atmospheric CO2, not dissolved CO2, it shouldn't make a difference, maybe whatever 12hours you feel like?

Sent using Forum Runner

My understanding of a DSB is also that the bacteria that builds up in it disposes of the waste by turning it to gas form. Removing this large piece of natural biological filtration could cause a large problem. Just like when carbon is left in a reactor for a long period of time it builds up biological filtration instead of mechanical filtration and at that point changing your carbon could could make your system unstable and it's recommended to replace only a portion of your carbon in that case. I do a lot of research from many sources in my spare time and have heard this from many sources. Never have I heard of swapping a DSB because it builds to much waste' date=' nor would I ever do so. I like to look at my tank as how does a real reef work and at what point can I stop changing my water? When I have all the elements to purify the water that the reef uses. IE: Cryptic zone(non photosynthetic organisms pulling nutrients from the water column) Refugium(Also pulling nutrients from the water but require photosynthesis) and A DSB which has small living organisms that physically eat waste and turn it to a gas. Just like how earth worms do to enrich soil, they are beneficial in the health of soil and promoting plant growth. I'm not trying to argue with anyone's thoughts or opinions. I just like the natural side of things. Not so many fancy things :D[/quote']

From what ive read replacing it every few years is basically mandatory, eventually it will become filled with nutrients that will be leeched back to the system, its only one time every few years but this is just what ive read. Its not something youd have to do until the system has really matured. As much as wed like our systems to operate naturally we dont have beaches of sand nor the amount of cleaners in that sand to have it operate untouched