The 83G.

Arminius

Right - and for the first time I'll actually have a pre-built lighting system instead of DIY. First time ever! And they have a 2 year warranty. I think the game is about to change for proliferation of LED. There will be holdouts and good for them, keep up the diversity. Halides work really, really well.

Kinks or misconceptions? It has replaced the incandescent and flourescent fixtures in many municipal buildings here and abroad - I believe the Dutch were the first to use for horticulture...of course. And now whole indoor farms with dedicated LED lighting exist. Above water and below it has revolutionized this hobby by leaps and bounds. High Intensity Discharge lighting had been around for ages before being used in the hobby. Phosphors used in fluorescent lighting have come a long way from the beginning, but the overall life and effective illumination of such is just, well, weak. The degradation of the PAR value, Kelvin rating and performance is the blink of an eye with those types vs. LED. Not that they were not effective by any means, just that there is now something arguably better. And saying the life of a fixture for LED is 10 years sounds great on paper, but they, by laws of physics, will degrade in their performance over time as well, just not as swiftly. Coral gardens are by no means a new thing - there are records of Medieval Era coral tidal gardens in the Arab world. It's just in this last century have we been able to light them with something other than the sun. And thus bring them into a more intimate setting - our homes.

Aww...wasn't that nice? Sorry dude - once I get going it's an avalanche...

LED fixtures should drop dramatically in price due to the rate the chips themselves are being produced. I have always thought that the commercially available fixtures were way overpriced and presented a lack of vision in production of light that was not only beneficial, but pleasing to the eye. Retailers selling DIY parts aren't exactly passing on the best deals either. And the fact that certain LEDs are touted as being more powerful and efficient only to be dialed back by as much as 60% only lends to the mind set that the less powerful (and less expensive) chips might work just as well. I really enjoyed reading the recent write-up about 1w chips, the color blending and efficiency. Great information there.

I had LED supplemental lighting for my halide setup on my last tank. I bought the diodes from China (Bridgelux) and the power modules (meanwell) here. Added 32 3w LEDs to a Dual 250w setup and got great growth and color, plus they helped to fill in areas shaded by the "2 sun" effect.

These arduino controlled 7-color all-in-one units by reefbreeders are by far cheaper than I could build one myself, especially with full size heatsink internal to the device. 2year warranty! And if you send the guy (Logan) an email he gets back to you the same day. I had a lot of questions for him and they were all answered intelligently within hours. Now the best part - they will still cover your warranty service if you decide to change lenses yourself! I have a box of 60 degree lenses around here somewhere...

Anyway - they are supposed to ship today...

Never 2x4 - takes up too much space and too heavy. Sticks of wood on end are much stronger than you might imagine. I think a single 2x4 has a breaking point of like 6 or 800 lbs.

If I can get my hands on some square tube then I will weld up a stand, and if I could afford aluminum...but I love crafting wood. 1"x2" or 1"x3" hemlock frame and maybe match the lizard tank, but probably not - each piece of furniture is sort of its own entity.

I have access to tubing for cheap steel and aluminum. Do you have a tig setup?? I have a spool gun does ok for aluminum but poor on stainless. I want to do a polished aluiminum stand for my 30 cube and a polished stainless stand for my 300. Just gotta convince the girl to let me drop 1500 on a tig welder. I also may have enough 1' 1/2'' squarue tubing left over from a job I might be willing to let go.

I don't have a tig - all I have is some aluminum wire for the mig - I won't even try to use that machine on stainless.

I don't think I am going to go with a metal stand...been working on a drawing for a customized wood stand and I don't really want to fur out from metal at this time - of course that might change in the design process and subsequent overall size to accommodate the final equipment load-out...

Made my BRS order today, waiting for my LEDs to be shipped (reefbreeders ran into a housing manufacture snag and the hurricane), and getting a extra special smokin deal coming in the mail tomorrow - I will share with pics once I get that!

Tank is still untouched however, as with the sump. Finalizing the design of my stand now - going to try to have water in a tank by Christmas - the best thing I can get from Santa for sure.