The 83G.

Arminius

I didn't have the bug for a new tank until after being here 5 months with nothing.

Then I picked up an Advanced Aquarist while waiting for the clerk lady at the Petsmart to sort some live meal worms for the dead ones.

That was it...

Started hitting up the CL looking for a tank and then accidentally came across this site...well not by accident - I clicked and here all of you people were talking and trading and having a good time. So I lurked. Then I signed on, and then I joined...

Then I got up to speed. This is serious now. I know that is tough talk from a guy with no tank and just a bunch of random equipment...

NOW, however is a different ballgame.

Discussed it with the gf and we agreed on a budget for me and trade in helping her with the structural parts of her sculpture (which I was doing all the time anyway). So I am on the cheap.

Then in pursuit of an enclosure, pm'ing with Steve_HashFish, he told me he had this thing stowed away:

[ATTACH]13402[/ATTACH][ATTACH]13403[/ATTACH]

Then I got this:

[ATTACH]13404[/ATTACH]

They have both seen better days, so I am starting this thread to prove to myself this tank and his friend have a future.

The tank itself is 48"x20"x20" (a solid 83 gallons) and will be cleaned, repaired and if I can't get that weak corner overflow out, it will get the chop. I haven't decided if I want to go overflow on the left side or coast to coast along the back, but I will figure it out depending on where it's going in the house (wall or corner). The sump tank - a weird 50 or 55 long-tall 48"x13"x20" - has a stress crack on the face low-middle-left, so it is definitely going to get hacked into, (it's too long any way) rejoined, baffled for skimmer, display fuge (thanks for the idea Garrett), and return. I'll probably build in a rack for filter socks and a separate one for probes at the very least as a couple nice features.

Then a custom stand and all the other crap in forthcoming posts. I might go with all reclaimed materials.

Any input at all is most welcome. If anybody has a good idea I will try to use it and give credit where due.

post-9028-141867790945_thumb.jpg

post-9028-141867790948_thumb.jpg

post-9028-141867790951_thumb.jpg

If your going to get rid of the overflow I'd look into doing a bean animal, it's 100% what I'm going to use on my next build, whenever I get around to it lol. Supposed to be completely silent and also overflow proof. This is just from what I've read. They look cool too so why not?! Lol. Also from personal experience I'd make your skimmer/return area a little larger than what most ore made sumps have. Seems like if you get any pump in them worth having your almost out of room. Go slow, and get everything in line before you start the build process. If you don't you will end up putting it together half done And won't be happy with the end product. Just my 2 pennies good luck and enjoy the build process. It's half the fun for me!

Hey thanks PowderBlue! This isn't my first rodeo (I have like 20 years xp with reef alone). That sump is going to maintain most of its size specifically to accommodate a large skimmer...I have an old diy one around here somewheres...

And that beananimal overflow is just what I was thinking - the added length or width of the stand will give me more room underneath anyway. I read about them 2 days ago I think. A couple more pieces of acrylic, some bulkheads, and some wood and I am in business!!!

Hey thanks PowderBlue! This isn't my first rodeo (I have like 20 years xp with reef alone). That sump is going to maintain most of its size specifically to accommodate a large skimmer...I have an old diy one around here somewheres...

And that beananimal overflow is just what I was thinking - the added length or width of the stand will give me more room underneath anyway. I read about them 2 days ago I think. A couple more pieces of acrylic, some bulkheads, and some wood and I am in business!!!

Oh well then your set! I've only been doing it for about 5 so I'm pretty far behind. I feel like with the 4 builds in 2 years I did some much needed learning! Post pics with progress! Always fun watching these come together!

I made this skimmer a few years ago and I think with some modification it will be great for this size tank. It's 6" tube. 27" tall. Water was moved in through a uniseal hole in the bottom through a diffusion plate. I might try to make it a recirc. Does anyone have any experience with recirculation skimmers and how effective they are?

[ATTACH]13407[/ATTACH]

post-9028-141867763563_thumb.jpg

Never 2x4 - takes up too much space and too heavy. Sticks of wood on end are much stronger than you might imagine. I think a single 2x4 has a breaking point of like 6 or 800 lbs.

If I can get my hands on some square tube then I will weld up a stand, and if I could afford aluminum...but I love crafting wood. 1"x2" or 1"x3" hemlock frame and maybe match the lizard tank, but probably not - each piece of furniture is sort of its own entity.

So a list of the equipment I have right now that I intend to use to get this thing going:

83 gallon 48x20x20 tank that needs work

50 something gallon tank to be modified into a sump and refugium.

DIY skimmer that is good for whatever pump I can put on it, within reason. It man-handled my 120 heavy stock reef with a Bubble Blaster HY2000, but I sold that pump.

2 Grundfos Quiet One external pumps rated for 1150 gph at 0' head - the old ones that don't die as long as you keep them dry and oiled

2 Koralia Evolution 1400

Ebo Jager 250 watt heater

Some LEDs (warm white, cool white, and a couple rbs) and a couple of Meanwell 35-700's I am reserving for a refugium light.

A RapidLED 4 diode moonlight kit.

An older Kent Marine 3 stage RO unit that I intend to upgrade to 100 gpd and 4 stage + DI - I have a new BRS auto shutoff valve and a couple floats.

American Marine Pinpoint pH monitor - probably needs a new probe.

2 15 gallon food grade reservoirs for water change/top off

Rolls and sheets of filter floss materials

Refractometer

Carbon, Kalkwasser powder, denitrator, phosphate remover

Calcium test kit still in date

A 1.25 gallon tank I made as a coral dipping/quarantine area.

A 3/4 bag of salt

And then I have all this other crap:

2 Full on MH setups - Lumatek ballasts, Lumenarc reflectors, bulbs

A 1200 gph submersible pump that was used as a water change return on on my last 2 or 3 tanks...

A Sea clear canister filter/water polisher that I have had forever - 2 filter inserts and all the fittings

At least a dozen old powerheads

Shyteloads of plumbing fittings, extra parts, valves, strainers, tube - I have a 17 gallon plastic bin full of this stuff - if I need a part I can usually dig and find it or something similar enough to use.

Some DIY parts - acrylic sheet, acrylic tube, Weldon 4 and 16...

Bioballs believe it or not - 2 shoe boxes of the little ones (I dumped a garbage bag full on a freshwater society a few years back).

I know there is more, but I am doing a mental inventory.

So...since I knew I was going to need (to be read as "wanted to upgrade") lighting, and I got some tanks for bottom dollar...keeping my budget as large as it could be...and my girlfriend will never see this post...

I ordered 2 of these:

http://reefbreeders.com/controllable_led_fixtures.html

heh heh heh...

They will get here in a couple weeks and I will do a complete review of them once I get them over some water.

It will be exciting to use these from Day1.