Anyone have experience with "EZ Tube" DIY Lighting racks ?

Harold B

I built one out of aluminum channel but much more cutting is involved cutting - and riveting and/or welding. The EZ tube stuff is pretty easy to work with, just a bit heavier and more expensive than channel, however it is much more sturdy. You could do a ceiling mount pulley system - they make tiny pulleys for aircraft wire that are quite strong.

Like these:[ATTACH]13397[/ATTACH]

They are cheap at 'Depot and can be hung from a board attached to the ceiling between joists. A wire looped over and run down to a bar that connects 2 "y" legs of wire (or an "H" to stand-offs) and a bar that connects the top ends could pull down and attach to the top of the rack - no loose ends, nice clean even pull down.

post-9028-141867763549_thumb.jpg

Mine that I built are nothing fancy, just the aluminum angle metal from HD held together with self tapping screws. I made the frame(s) to hold the heat sinks and can slide the sinks along the rails that they sit on.

I picked up ratchet type pulleys from SWF that he in turn got from sunlight. So I can raise and lower as I need to.

I saw Rick's set up it was a lot more involved with weights and pulleys so, he just "lifted" the canopy and the weights worked to hold it up.

Sort of a cantilever system with weight at one end-