New addition to the reef

madmike

Cos at OIAB just broke down his large display tank and mentioned that I should put the 24" zebra eel in my reef, lol. I had thought of it in the past but never had the stones to do it. I have many prized fish and would be devastated if he went rogue on them. I decided to go for it and now this guy is living happily in my reef.

eel11of1.jpg

I was worried for the first couple of days or so but then I saw something funny... My juvi queen angel during feeding swam right up to its face and tail whipped it! It was pretty funny and knowing that these eels are essentially blind it appears the fish have absolutely nothing to worry about.

Anybody else have something not exactly reef safe in their reef? I tried a harlequin file fish about 6 months ago but after loosing a strawberry shortcake and purple monster colony I called it quits and removed it (laugh)

They are blind, that's why they hunt at night... If anyone goes missing I would blame him. I had a brackish tank years ago with a 2' snowflake mory (brackish one different from the ones we are used to seeing) He lived happily with a puffer who became a favorite of mine until one night the moray got him. :( If I were you I would get rid of him and get a pair of golden morays. I can remember the puffer swimming circles around the eel and I thought he would never be caught, i guess even the best of us are vulnerable while we are sleeping.

Nice eel. I have a golden dwarf moray in my reef actually he has been in two of my reefs. Never had a problem with him except he is a messy eater.

Same here! Egor (my golden dwarf) does awesome in my reef, keeps to himself and doesn't even eat my crab or shrimp. Congrats on the new addition eels are so cool to watch! Well when you get to see them :)