rose bubble tip anemone is slowly shrinking down in size and dying!

titus'reef

I don't feed my anemones either, the biggest healthiest one get's the least light too. It does have a pair of clowns that probably poop in it and the others probably catch mysid shrimp when I feed the fish. I tried feeding whole shrimp to them and they spit it out later covered in slime, which fouled the tank of course. I don't know if they can eat silversides or shrimp or any large thing and doubt they need to.

You say you have multiple sources of anemones, are they all the same species? Are you absolutely sure? Is there any pattern to which color morphs are doing ok and which are not? Here is why I ask and it's just a theory... I think some of the bta's in the hobby are not E quadricolor. I know this is conjecture and possibly misinformation but I have been reading a lot about the tricolor ones as I want to aquaculture them. Some very experienced people had them wither away and die after mixing the different color morphs in the same (small) tank. I know Kim and Beth have a mix in a large tank where they have a choice of where they sit and how far apart, would be interesting to see which morphs are willing to stay next to eachother and thrive over time. I have 3 morphs in a 20 that is plumbed to my frag system and they do not thrive together, do not touch and stay small.

My theory is that since some morphs look completely different and are not willing to touch and may even die if they do, that they are not the same species, and that they are hostile to eachother. is there any pattern you can see? I am also wondering this as there are other genuses of anemone that have bubble tips, stay small, and reproduce in tropical aquariums, and nomenclature of aquatic animals keeps changing.

Just my 2 cents, probably worthless (: