Best Place to Buy MH bulbs

Blackhand

So im new to mh bulbs and wanting to know where are some of the best places to buy them from and what brands people would suggest I know that most people prefer Radium 20k so if there is any others that you would suggest that would be helpful also Im wanting to know whith a Radium 20k or similar bulb is it suggested to have supplemental lighting ive read it both ways so wanted to see opinions. Also if someone is going to offer me to buy used bulbs i wish i could right now but already have two bulbs but want to plan ahead and in the next few months when i can afford it have some backups. OK thanks

Well are you using se or de Halid. I use pheniox 14k, but different bulbs penetrate at different deeps. Depending on how deep your tank is I'd go off that. I'm sure others will chime in on what they use. As far as other lighting. I found my self wanting to retro fit a atinic lighting to my hood, but never really found a good way up go about it.

HTC EVO

thanks my tank is a 75 flat back hexagonal its 25in tall so i need penetration wanting a fairly blue look but not deep blue if that makes sense im mainly planning on lps but probably will have a few sps with the phoenix 14k would you suggest having supplemental lighting or is it enough thanks

Ebay, I don't care what anyone says, the cheap bulbs look identical to the $90 ones, just paid 47.50 shipped for two 250w 20,000k china bulbs. Swap them out at 6 months instead of 9 the way I see it. These are rated for 9000 hrs but they will fade over time. I would like to see a par comparison between the cheapos and the name brand... Anyone done that before?

I've seen sales on marine depot for $38 for 250 watt Phoenix bulbs. Can't beat it.

Yeah I agree, If I would have seen them for that I would buy them. I just can't justify spending $90 on a light bulb, there is better stuff I can buy for my tank tahn that. Besides I could do a multi chip LED build for the price of two bulbs and only have to replace it in like 10 years from now. lol

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/lighting

Sanjay

You get what you pay for in bulbs. Most cheap bulbs work well for the first one-two months but then have a huge drop in par and spectrum. I have run both . Biggest problem with cheapys is the consistancy. One bulb great color next is a algea farm grower.

Yeah I believe in you get what you pay for, but on average they should be replaced every 6-12 months so if you stay on schedule I would think you would be OK.

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/lighting

Sanjay

You get what you pay for in bulbs. Most cheap bulbs work well for the first one-two months but then have a huge drop in par and spectrum. I have run both . Biggest problem with cheapys is the consistancy. One bulb great color next is a algea farm grower.

X2. I have bought the eBay bulbs several times and have had numerous problems. QC stinks and the colors aren't always the same. My corals start to lose color and die off and algae goes nuts. Change the bulbs back to Pheonix and my problems go away. I know there are tons of other variables, but I'm confident some of my issues were bulb related.

thanks my tank is a 75 flat back hexagonal its 25in tall so i need penetration wanting a fairly blue look but not deep blue if that makes sense im mainly planning on lps but probably will have a few sps with the phoenix 14k would you suggest having supplemental lighting or is it enough thanks

i ran 2x 250w de phoenix with 2 454 t5 and 2 actinic t5 with great success and good crisp blue color i did a mix of lps and sps

I got a radium 20k with lumenmax2 reflector and I love it. I wanna get an ice cap ballast but right now I'm fine with my galaxy til it dies.

The blue on the 20 k radium is very natural looking so it's not as blue as other 20k bulbs, like I can almost say the Phoenix 14k is more blue (nutty) crazy, I know.

But I like mine personally nothing a few LED or T5 actinics won't fix.

Just remember the pheniox bulb has a depth of 19 to 20 inches. Look at marinedepot to see what bulbs offer good depth penetration. Then look for cheaper some where else.

HTC EVO

When I went to Marine Depot it said for tanks 22"-30" deep. Hopefully that's the case because I will be using four over my 25" deep tank.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem.aspx?idproduct=MB2664&child=MB6664

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

thanks everyone for the advice are these cheapos the artemis brand cause i am considering trying them ive been hearing mixed reviews as well on them but im not planning on having many if any right away of sps so i figure they will be good enough for the lps im wanting i would love to have the money to spend on radiums every time but they are so spendy i agree with saving money on the bulbs and adding led supplemental lighting im thinking of adding a led strip from rapid led hopefully soon with the money that i save on bulbs

i cant seem to get on the second page of this any ideas why thanks everyone

Radiums are great bulbs for both growth and color. You only have to replace the bulbs once a year so it's not a huge wallet grabber. I have used those eBay bulbs and my corals looked horrible after about 6 months an you may have a different experience but remember that lighting is one of the most important things that contribute to color of you corals.