Hanging Lights

Mitchell

I'm trying to figure out how to hang four halides over my new 4' cube. I can't hang them from the ceiling and I don't plan on having a canopy. I was thinking about having bars come up off the back of the stand, but my external overflow and returns would get in the way. Here are a few pictures of the SketchUp model I did, so you can get an idea of what I am working with. Any ideas?

tanktoscale4.png

tanktoscale5.png

tanktoscale6.png

tanktoscale7.png

tanktoscale8.png

tanktoscale9.png

tanktoscale10.png

tanktoscale11.png

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I am actually a bender. ;)

I can bend you some brushed aluminum 1.5" tubing at 90' if you want. I could just put one end of the tubing in a press and drill a couple holes, then you could mount it to your stand with bolts. I also have some 3/4 stainless steel laying around if you prefer. :) No charge of course. :)

Gill, that still might work! I'd have to give you something for your work though.

Would it be possible to bend a section that just goes around and over the overflow? Kinda like this poor excuse for a drawing I made on my phone: 4asy2ynu.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I can do it, I just might have to throw a weld into the mix. I will play around with it on Monday and let you know what I come up with. How many hangers do you think you will need? By that I mean are all four halides in one unit?

Have you thought about a floating canopy? What reflectors were you thinking about?

I have four of these

How many hangers do you think you will need? By that I mean are all four halides in one unit?
I was thinking about having two lights on one hanger, so two total.

It might be easier than the drawing too. If we just bring it strait up to the desired height from the back of the overflow before the bend it would negate the need for two of the bends and it would keep the tube away from the surface of the overflow.

I think I get what you're saying, but a drawing might help (laugh)

Thanks for the help!

I'm thinking four hangers, a pair for each set might work better/safer, but we can always try it with only two and if it is too much weight I can just make more. I tried to get that sketch up again but even after deleting and re installing the app photobucket is still giving me trouble.

I'm thinking four hangers' date=' a pair for each set might work better/safer, but we can always try it with only two and if it is too much weight I can just make more. I tried to get that sketch up again but even after deleting and re installing the app photobucket is still giving me trouble.[/quote']

I'm not sure how four will work. There is no rush since my tank wont even be made for a week or two.

[ATTACH]13223[/ATTACH]

This is not to scale but could give you an Idea of a direction to head just mount the main vertical rails to the side of your stand make out of aluminium tubing and give em a rough finish so it looks kind of modern. This in no way to scale the angle braces may need to be longer or shorter then shown it was just to give and I dea. I pictured it with box style tubing figure it would be welded togather could also use steal just figured that might be to heavy =)

post-8422-141867762968_thumb.jpg

the upper angle supports could be a steal cable that ran all the way out to the end was just to try and distribute the weight kind of like a suspension bridge. I am not an engineer in any way shape or form so not sure how to calculate the load and how much support you would need =)

the upper angle supports could be a steal cable that ran all the way out to the end was just to try and distribute the weight kind of like a suspension bridge. I am not an engineer in any way shape or form so not sure how to calculate the load and how much support you would need =)

That's a good idea, but if I am understanding it correctly supports come up the sides? I plan on having the front and sides viewable, so I don't know if I want metal bars getting in the way on the sides.

How do they attach with the giant overflow though? What I'm thinking of will look like your pic but it will have two more 90' bends below the over flow so that it can be attached to the stand.

I don't know how the other idea attaches with the overflow in the way either. I did a quick SketchUp model of what I think you are talking about. It isn't to scale and I messed up the length on one of them, but it gives us an idea of what it would look like.

lighthangers1.png

lighthangers2.png

lighthangers3.png