SPS help

saltygobie

So I am building a 40b set up will have pics up soon but I got a few questions sence me and my wife decided to go full SPS with it.

First I am going to be using supplements is there on line people suggest to fellow reefers

Second i am worried that two 175 watt metal halides will be to much for them and burn them, what do you guys think?

I've been real happy with the elos amino acid and pro skimmer for my SPS, as farvas the lights they're fine i just depends on how high you have them, or more important how low.

The most important thing I have found in doing SPS is stability in KH- they tend not to tolerate swings so dialing in a dosing pump or a controller running a calcium reactor, either is best IMO/E

Bulk reef supply sells the best supplements...and they have a doser that will do the trick.

A doser is not necessary, but very helpful. If you do it manually, it is best to dose daily, or even twice daily(1/2 per dose).

As long as you do it daily, your coral will grow well.

The lighting is fine, just watch your temps, sps are not tolerant to huge temp swings, just as they aren't tolrant to huge kh swings. A fan blowing across surface of water usually will suffice.

I was looking into a dosing system seems pricy . Have been ready a lot on the Internet and seems to be a lot of conflicting info . Still and looking for a list of peramitors but have found a good set yet, also have been trying figure out what tests would be best to buy, I also heard about a calk drip sounds interesting but haven't don't a lot of research on it . Thanks for all the help everything helps

Your last post looks like you may have been experimenting with vodka dosing(whistle) or some form of dosing(clap)

If you want to be succesful with SPS and keep it "simple" you will either want to do the dosing or use a calcium reactor and some type of controller.

Key words "keep it simple"

As far as test kits, elos or salifert IMO, I'm not a fan of API but some people like them