tough wiring ??? -CREE

Burningbaal

ok, putting together my led setup for the femto tank. so here's what I have:

"moonlight" driver, puts out 350mA (constant) at 0-13v

2x: 'moonlights' 3.3v at 350mA

1x: violet 3.5v @ 700mA, (3v min, 4.3v max)

1x: cool white: 2.81v @ 350mA

the driver on the website says any 4 diodes (not just the moonlights), so I bought the white and violet. can I just put them in series?

35 views and no replies...here's my idea (not attached image)

I can wire them up in series and add a resistor (theoretically 11.423 ohm if I did the math right) for constant current of 350mA at 13DCV.

but of course...I want more out of it.

so I was thinking that it would be awesome to be able to just run the blues at night and how can I rig up a circuit with a switch (timed would be best, but manual switch will suffice...for now) to do that. it seems that if I branch it so there's a resistor (R1) equal to the CW+UV resistance, I could make R1and the CW+UV diodes be switched. so the RB are always on and the CW+UV get switched on and off, but without throwing off the RB voltage/current (because R1 takes that load?). Also, I'm still not sure if the unswitched resistor (R2) is needed since the driver says "0-13V" and "constant current 350mA"...

am I crazy?

[ATTACH]12875[/ATTACH]

post-6436-141867762215_thumb.jpg

Although it sounds like you have this worked out. I would contact them and see what they recomend as a solution. The might have a really simple solution for this, or at least could give you a more definative rsponse to your question.

@googs: my main concern is that I'm not just using the 'moonlight' diodes...the site says '2-4 of any diode', but I'm surprised cause the moonlight ones are supposedly for a really different current than the violet, and especially than the CW...

I would ask them on rc. Everytime I messaged them they get back to you fairly fast. Best thing is to just call them. They were suggesting I don't use the moonlight driver for my edge, but your much smaller then that so it should be fine. Good luck.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

they said the switch idea is untested and therefore unknown. they said if I was trying to do it with a regular meanwell driver it would surely fry the diodes that are before the switch (because of the brief moment that the circuit is open between the CW/UV and the other side), the inrush of power would surge the blues. he said it may be fine with the moonlight driver (so low-powered), but they've never tested it. he told me what I would need to test it (or, he said, just try it and I might have to buy new LEDs if they popped).

all that to say, I'm just going to wire the 4 in series, they'll all drive at 350mA (perfect for the blues, 1/2 for UV and 1/4 for the white of 'full power'). so I'm hoping that gives a really high-K spectrum and still sufficient light. if things are suffering, I could buy a second driver to power the white/UV separate from the blues, which then could be used on a separate timer.

so that's what I know.