chiller in base of tnak

g81

Ok im setting up a new reef tank. its large enough for my 30g sump and still has enough room for my 1/4 chiller, knowing the chiller puts out some good heat in the rear. would it be ok to put the chiller in the base of the tank? or no?

im guessing no because of the air intake and heat issue.. but thought id ask, and see if anyone has done it?

sounds like a bad idea...overall, you get more heat out of the chiller than you started with and it relies on evacuating that heat out of the coils, but if those coils are in your stand, the heat just stays in the stand...re-heating the tank. if you can get the air exchange good enough, it could work (theoretically)`

Chillers are kinda hard to use sometimes. You have a hot room and your trying to cool the tank down with the chiller, the chiller puts off heat and heats up the room. The chiller cools down the tank but heats up the room temp more, so the chiller consistently runs all day on hot days. So the only effective way to use a chiller is to place it in a cool place like outside or a different room. The chiller works against itself a lot of times.

Well, I have a chiller under my tank (literally chilling the bottom of the tank). Here's what I can tell you. If you have a sufficient amount of airflow through the stand, it'll work fine, but if you can't evacuate the heat from the stand, it'll be like Keith said, all of the heat will be trapped in the stand heating the water. I figured out on my first test run that I was going to have to have a fan in the stand. For my situation a simple computer fan worked just fine... Perhaps a couple large computer fans could do the job.

NO NO NO NO When I was talking to the guys at pacific coast they told me that placement of chillers in the stand is the #1 reason that the fan motors go out. Chillers are designed to be "free air vented". We all know how corrosive of an environment this place can be, there is no dening that.

NO NO NO NO When I was talking to the guys at pacific coast they told me that placement of chillers in the stand is the #1 reason that the fan motors go out. Chillers are designed to be "free air vented". We all know how corrosive of an environment this place can be' date=' there is no dening that.[/quote']

i was thinking, if i put a wood divider so its completly seprate from the sump and a decent fan to push the air out the back., and a screen in the front to suck the air in. would that be ok? im tight on space is the only thing..

i dont even wnat to use it. i hate it!! makes the room its in super hot.. before when i did not have it my temps hit 84ish in the winter time. summer im afraid of, thats why i bought it in the first place. but now im upgrading from a 46g to a 55 and the xtra 12" is where my chiller use to sit next to the 46g tank.

only other option, i could mabye put it under my house. run pvc through the floor.?