Check out what I scored!

FatChevy

Reef or big fishies???

I was thinking either transferring everything from my 76g or making it a shark tank. The only thing that bothers me is the scratches. That's why I was considering getting a shark and blue spotted ray. My wife likes those.

Nice tank/score!!

you should look into the shark thing, everything I have heard is that they need a much deeper tank than what you have, somewhere along the line of 3-4x their length.

PM noobtosalt, he "tried" sharks, you could learn form his "experiances" both good and bad.

Nice tank/score!!

you should look into the shark thing, everything I have heard is that they need a much deeper tank than what you have, somewhere along the line of 3-4x their length.

PM noobtosalt, he "tried" sharks, you could learn form his "experiances" both good and bad.

Yeah i've been reading about the bamboo shark. they require a minimum of 160 gallon tank. as juveniles they are only about 7 inches long. the problem is I wanted a bigger tank because I need more room for all the corals. Well I just got off the phone with my LFS guy. apparently they are ok with corals. but they need to be secured really good. and the skimmer I just bought isnt big enough :( I just spent 350 on it too. I'll def give jesse a call and see what he says! thnx

Yeah i've been reading about the bamboo shark. they require a minimum of 160 gallon tank. as juveniles they are only about 7 inches long. the problem is I wanted a bigger tank because I need more room for all the corals. Well I just got off the phone with my LFS guy. apparently they are ok with corals. but they need to be secured really good. and the skimmer I just bought isnt big enough :( I just spent 350 on it too. I'll def give jesse a call and see what he says! thnx

The common bamboo sharks you see in the LFS can get close to 4' feet long. The minimum size you see on websites is not referring to standard sized tanks, but custom built tanks. Send live aquaria an email and they will say a standard 180 gallon aquarium is not suitable, but a custom circular 180 aquarium is.

Do you really want to see a fish in your tank that has no room to swim and can barely turn around?

I understand the appeal of having a shark and was planning on getting one myself, but after doing a lot of research I decided it just wouldn't be fair to the shark to keep it in my 180 gallon.

If you must have a shark there are more suitable sharks for the home aquarium than the common brown banded bamboo. Look into Coral Catsharks ( Atelomycterus marmoratus) they only grow to 28" and are more active than bamboos. Marbled cat sharks ( Atelomycterus macleayi) look and behave a lot like the coral cat, but are only 24" as adults. Another option is the grey banded bamboo shark (Chiloscyllium griseum) it is about the same size of the coral cat shark, but since it's a bamboo shark it is less active. All the sharks I have listed are hard to find especially the marbled and grey banded, but they are a much better choice than the common marbled or brown banded bamboo sharks.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I'm no shark expert but from what I have read the tank needs to be at least 4' feet deep and have rounded corners or a circular tank so they don't injure them selfs by hitting nose on the 90° degree angle causing hemorrhaging. and for coral it would be best to be leathers and softies. by having stony coral they can bump into it or hit there eye and get infected.

just thought I would share some of my knowledge

and awesome deal on your tank though