Tips on Solana setup please

Vis

Hi there

I'm finally to the point of setting up my Solana. I've had sand in it for a month with some live rock and a hang on the side filter to clear things up. My foam background is ready and I'm planning on taking out 3/4 of the water to silicone the background onto the tank. I tried out the custom skimmer and the pump was rather noisy. Any good tips on setting it up. I'm putting live rock rubble in the middle chamber and bought filter floss for the intake chamber. The ATO bottles did not come with the tank. Any ideas other than a float switch at this point?

Thanks in advance.

The Solana skimmer is kinda noisy, as many skimmers this size. To perform well they need a faster turnover compared to bigger units. This is why sometimes we see technologies that are not more used in bigger tanks/skimmers, as "jet-splash".

I would suggest you to get a better skimmer, that will perform well and maybe be a little bit less noisy.

Forget the bottle and get a double switch unit. I'm using the autotopoff.com one. It has been years, works great and it is cheap.

Hope this helps, enjoy the Solana!

When I had a solana I ran a sapphire aquatics skimmer. That thing ROCKED for it size and was very quiet. I'll second the advice to ditch the ATO bottles and run a proper switch with a remote ATO reservoir. I use the same switch as Grassi with no problems at all.

When I had a solana I ran a sapphire aquatics skimmer. That thing ROCKED for it size and was very quiet. I'll second the advice to ditch the ATO bottles and run a proper switch with a remote ATO reservoir. I use the same switch as Grassi with no problems at all.

Sounds like they were great little skimmers but they don't make them anymore . Bummer.

Archived