Lowest cost and easiest way to eliminate green hair, bubble, turf and slime algae

photo11-1.jpg

I got the stuff today. Total cost was about $3 for this stuff. The chick at Michael's loved my $.56 transaction.

photo21-1.jpg

Cut down to size.

photo4-1.jpg

Looped first, then tightened once the stone was on.

photo5-2.jpg

photo12.jpg

Final product, I guess

photo22.jpg

This is just a mock up, since I don't really know what I'm going to do for the light. I have a 70watt metal halide, but I'm not sure if the electricity consumption will be worth it at this point.

Started mine up today.

Pump

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12786[/ATTACH]

I may have gone overboard with the pump. (scratch)

(Actually the pump is meant to run everything I want to do in the near future.)

Light

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12787[/ATTACH]

It's a CP 6000 k

Lastly, in use.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12788[/ATTACH]

post-6468-141867762114_thumb.jpg

post-6468-141867762117_thumb.jpg

post-6468-141867762119_thumb.jpg

photo22.jpg

This is just a mock up, since I don't really know what I'm going to do for the light. I have a 70watt metal halide, but I'm not sure if the electricity consumption will be worth it at this point.

How come the bubbles only cover half of the screen? And...your screen is not roughed up.

Started mine up today.

Looking good. Not sure if the screen is roughed up though.

How come the bubbles only cover half of the screen? And...your screen is not roughed up.

Looking good. Not sure if the screen is roughed up though.

I know. It was just a rough placement thing going. I don't have it connected until I can figure out how to rough it up and what light to use.

• 2 weeks later...

Everybody loves growth pictures:

Day 1:

hog.5-7.jpg

Day 2:

hog.5-8.jpg

Day 3:

hog.5-9.jpg

Day 4:

hog.5-10.jpg

Day 5:

hog.5-11.jpg

Day 6:

hog.5-12.jpg

Day 7:

hog.5-13.jpg

Day 8:

hog.5-14.jpg

Day 9:

hog.5-15.jpg

7 Days of growth after first cleaning:

hog.5-16.jpg

Video of first cleaning after 9 days of growth from a new screen:

Video of 7 days of growth after the first cleaning:

Time to eat more TV dinners and save those trays :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well since SantaMonica's AS back in '08 I had always wanted to do one but never took the time. With the new UAS I figured what the heck especially since I recently broke the impeller in my skimmer my nitrates are hovering around 25 and the PO4 is .11

I had got spare parts laying around so off to the fabric depot for a sheet on canvas cross stich matt- Man I was I out of my element, it took about 3 seconde of looking around and WTH, someone who worked there said, "can I help" I laughed and .64 later I got what I need.

This is real crude build and will clean it up if all works-if it does not I am looking at some form of carbon dosing.

I used an old 4 bulb T5 fixture that has a built in timer and am currently only running 2 of the 4 bulbs plus the LED moon lights for ambieance-(laugh)

It took about 15 minutes to throw together (and it shows-you like the zip ties?), I got to love the coast to coast external overflow, it was a perfect area to place it-(clap)

anyway here is what I got-its a 6x12 inch piece;

IMG_3885.jpg

IMG_3886.jpg

IMG_3887.jpg

quick update

OK so the first Bubble Block or what ever it was called was pretty lame so I returned it got another type that actually has a plastic base that keeps it of the bottom, it was more money so it had to be better right-(scratch) It turned out to be IMO

I added another 6" bubbler for a total of 18"x6" with two pumps pushing air so this sucker is kicking out so serious bubbles-(rock2)

Coincidence or not there is some hair algae all ready (the little spot above the zip tie in pic#2 (laugh)) on the screen which is odd, I have never seen any hair algae in my main tank, regardless I consider this day one and will update as time permits-

Current lighting is 4-24" T5s 2-6500K and 2-10K its what was in the fixture-oh and 4 Blue LED moonlights(nutty)

Like mentioned current NO3 is 25(sad)

and PO4 is .11 (flame)

top down;

IMG_3891.jpg

side view;

IMG_3890.jpg

Thought I would give it a try, didn't really understand the bubble wand part so I made my own. Stole Brads idea and used the overflow.

I did rough it up but doesn't look like it

IMG_4347.jpg

bought a 50w plant bulb

IMG_4348.jpg

IMG_4349.jpg