Culturing Algae, rolflers and brine Shrimp

LC Scott

So I'm thinking of trying this soon so I understand how It all works, in case my clowns ever start laying eggs. I also like the idea of raising my own live food for my fish and corals.

I just finished reading Clownfishes: A Guide to Their Captive Care, Breeding & Natural History

So I'm looking for some more info.

Specifically:

A good persons brain to pick on what to avoid.

Good source of start up cultures

There is probably a whole lot of questions I just don't know how to ask yet.(scratch)

(I put this in this section because of the brine shrimp, if anyone was wondering)

I have done all aspects of live phyto, rotifer, baby brine shrimp, and of course clowns. My recommendation is to buy the algae paste. It is not worth the time of trying to culture 7 cultures of phyto just to keep the rotifers going, not to mention the additional nutritional benefits of the pastes.

I have done all aspects of live phyto' date=' rotifer, baby brine shrimp, and of course clowns. My recommendation is to buy the algae paste. It is not worth the time of trying to culture 7 cultures of phyto just to keep the rotifers going, not to mention the additional nutritional benefits of the pastes.[/quote']

Thanks, I didn't know about the algae paste.

I still kinda want to do the whole phyto, rotifer, shrimp thing.

you could see my cultures if you want, am in SE Portland near 82nd and Woodstock. I don't grow brine shrimp out, too much trouble. I have the paste as a backup since sometimes your phyto will crash, and if I actually had baby fish I would use the stuff Dave recommends to feed the rotifers during that time as it's shown to reduce the problems of mortality some other diets have been associated with. But since my clowns stubbornly refuse to breed and/or eat their eggs I don't have anything other than coral to feed the rotifers to.

My phyto is mystery greenwater from Johnson Creek converted to salt and completely unproven to grow any marine fish BTW but I can show you the setup.

A friend has a pair of hatching setups and half a can of grade A BBS eggs for sale if you need that. I am about to do a Florida Aqua Farms order to get more fertilizer for the phyto and a rotifer sieve, if you need anything from them let me know.

Kate

I got a ton of tigriopus californica and live phytoplankton growing out if you want any. Totally free since I cant seem to use all anyways, lol.

I set up my growouts to mimic their naturally occurring habitat here in Oregon where I collect them so they are pretty much self sustaining biotopes. Hit me up if you want one, just give em sun light and watch your free food grow :)

I have a bucket out back full of tigriopus sp pods... guess I better deal with that. They will not like this heat!

I am cleaning up my basement so I can host a happy hour and will also have people over for frags as I have too many, probably next week or weekend after the heat wave. Pretty open schedule. I could use some of that other phyto, the stuff I am growing being of dubious quality and origin.