any idea what this is?

g81

i have had this odd thing on my rock. it started as a tiny pebble. it seems to my twirling around there is something inside it and retracts when scared. hard shell worm like creature.

it also puts out almost like a spider web?

2012-05-02_17-01-25_661.jpg

Yes it feeds with the web but they don't sting. They will multiply quickly and they can irritate corals to the point of dying. I now do like Mattv suggested and putty or glue over thier holes.

If you look at the current entries for the photo of the month, mine is of one of these out of the shell....kinda cute! (laugh)

it wont cause any harm? other than the ugly web? wont sting or hurt anything? should i kill it? it let it live?

do you know if the web is it source of eating?

+1 with matty0206. They are pretty harmless unless they irritate sensitive corals. I let them be unless the surounding coral gets anoyed. I think of them as a free filter. However if they are exploding in your system you have a bigger issue. If they can find that much food you have too many nutrients.

+1 with matty0206. They are pretty harmless unless they irritate sensitive corals. I let them be unless the surounding coral gets anoyed. I think of them as a free filter. However if they are exploding in your system you have a bigger issue. If they can find that much food you have too many nutrients.

Agreed! .

Agreed! .

Archived