Haddoni hammered by bristle worm?

Bigjohnwoody

This morning when I woke up for work at 4:30am, I went in to check the tank before I left as always. I saw a medium sized bristle worm crawling on the edge of my haddoni. I honestly didn't think much of it. When I got home this afternoon the same exact spot it was crawling on is knarly now. Is this possible? After a lot of research I came to the conclusion that bristle worms are ugly, but harmless. Apparently I might be wrong.

http://campl.us/k8KVb8eAZoG

A few years ago I watched one eat a blue mushroom once, munched the entire thing in one go. It was huge and never came out til the lights were off. I think there are multiple species that look alike, or when they get large leftover fish food no longer cuts it but who knows. Luckily in that case it was in the quarantine tank.

I have heard the same thing John and I have heard that it is just coincidental that they see dead tissue or detritus and get blamed for causing the damage. I am not convinced that the bigger ones are harmless so I always take them out. It could be like the larger crabs where they are trying to just eat algae but they have gotten bigger that the coral becomes collateral damage. Keep us posted if you find something. That's a bummer as that Haddonni is so nice!

Yah this is so strange. I have seen marks like this on it before and it heals up nicely with no left over sign. Granted I've never seen it quite this bad. Now at least I know what is causing it. I guess I'll start pulling the bristles out as I see them. It's just strange. Nothing else in the tank has ever been affected that I can see. Of course they pick on the most expensive thing in the tank. This means war(flame)

I have many in my tank and never had a problem with them.

Did you feed the nem the night before? The worm might have been attracted by the food in the nem, and the nem tried to close up on the worm and found he wasn't so nasty of a nem as he thought. "that will teach him"

If you see the big ones around there to much, it might be time to get the big ones out before they get a liking to the wrong stuff.

the one I watched was quite clearly stretching it's mouth to eat the mushroom, and the mushroom appeared to be in perfect health. No detritus, food or slime on it. It was like watching a snake eat. I took pictures but back then I had a 1.6 megapixel point and shoot, so yeah. Even a high light picture would be full of noise and tiny, the second the lights came on the worm flinched back. No photo opportunity there and I hope to not have that opportunity again in the future (:

Archived