Computer Help (Disk read error)

racefan

My daughter called today & said her laptop (Dell XP with Windows 7) is getting a disk read error. She said she was watching a Netflix movie (I'm not sure if it was a DVD or streaming) & had a recipe window open when she got the error. & It said to hit clt,alt delete to reboot. The problem is that does nothing. I had her put the installation disk in & boot up hitting the f8 key but it gives the same message. Any ideas on where to go next? My problem is, she lives in Seattle & I'm trying to do this over the phone. Mike

A disk error like that is the hard drive faulting and is stuck in that error, what works for me 95% of the time is pulling the cmos battery and letting it reset it's self, then putting it back in after a few min. This involves taking the case apart to get to the motherboard though.. which for me only takes a few min but for her/you might take a bit.

If it's giving a disk read error. Alot of times that can mean the windows OS is corrupt.

On a dell she needs to put.in the windows install dvd.. Reboot the computer and when she see's the dell logo tell her to tap F12 several times. This should bring up a one time boot menu. From there have her boot from dvd/cd.drive. This will load a windows menu from the disk. There will be several options. Have her choose the repair my computer option. If that doesnt fix the problem she may need fully reinstall windows.

OK. We got it to boot up with the install disk & tried the repair option, that did not work so she reinstalled Windows. Now when she boots it up she gets "windows did not shut down correctly" then gives her the options of safe mode, safe w/ networking, start windows normally.etc. She tried "start windows normally" & it said "windows has stopped working" & went to a black screen. Next I had her try to boot to safe mode with networking, same results. Not sure of what to try next. Mike

I worked on one like that last week. Sounds like a bad hdd.. I wouldnt know for sure without running diags on it.

Is there any way I can run diagnostics on it? Also if I have to change the HD will she lose all the data on the old one? She backed it up recently so she wont lose too much if that's the case.

So I got ahold of her laptop this weekend. I booted it up hitting F8 & went to the diagnostics screen & clicked on System tree then picked cannot boot the os. It failed the smart long test & the verify test. I got too many error codes to count that all said "can't read,replace disk or remove write protection" that pretty well confirms the hdd is is bad correct? Mike

Archived