75 build

jmetz32

I'm not clear on how your return is plumbed, but usually: provide some part of the return plumnbing to be right at/near the surface of the water in the display. so for me, I'll have plumbing up over the back of my tank, with the two outlets under the water. but I'll also drill a tiny (1/8" or so) hole in the side of the plumbing right at the water surface so that as soon as the water level falls in the DT, that hole will suck air and won't siphon out any more water. That tiny little hole won't really change the flow from the return when water is pumping and allows for a siphon break. if yours never goes near the surface, you could attach a piece of airline (or RO/DI hose) to the return that ends at the water surface...same effect.

make sense?

I'll leave the why to more experience people, but it doesn't take much. a grain of 2mm sand would be enough to not fully seal it and if it happened overnight or something, it could drain a lot of water. grain of sand, chunk of LR rubble, snail shell, algae...electrokate found a crab in her skimmer's pump recently, so as that oh-so-annoying youtube sensation would say: "never say never"

backflow valves are fine I've used them for years, if they are clear wrap them with electrical tape prevent algae growth. I've used them mainly to prevent so much draw down when you shut the pumps off, your sump still should be able to hold all the water once the pumps are shut down. Even siphon holes can become clogged over time so there is no 100% guaranteed method to prevent overflow if your sump can't hold all the water. BRS sell valves with unions on both sides so they can be easily removed or cleaned, I have a complete set (5) on hand to swap them out sometime, I'm on my second year with the first set and no problems.

good point about the siphon-break holes getting clogged, I somehow never considered that. I'm going to employ holes, but agree about the sump holding all the volume. my return will be right at the water line anyways, so it would probably not even drain 1/4" before the main outlets were at least partially out of the water.

So ordering a Coralife dual timer strip..... And a box of salt... The last things I need to finish the build...

I just did my plumbing with hat christies red hot blue glue... I'm wondering when can I fill tank again for freshwater leak test?

check the jar for times to put it under pressure, probably a few hours...could be 24 hrs though. I would go slightly more than what it says, especially if the water your testing with will be used in the actual thing. if you're just testing with hose water (that you'll throw out afterwards), whatever it says on the jar should be plenty

30 minutes said it was fine... And googled it and people had success with that. 24 hours to fully cure... But just fine after 30...

Another question, since I'm waiting for stuff to come in th mail anyways, I was going to put some silicone around the seals... I have like a $150 gift card to homedepot... So I was going to get it there and use caulking gun...

Is this safe to use? I heard some people have had success with it.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100091111&R=100091111

that's the stuff. silicone I, clear. It'll say 100% silicone. it smells super strong of vinegar (i.e. sour smell). it has a little different texture to it than 'standard' caulks, but it's the stuff that sticks to glass so well. 'regular' caulk (usually acrylic or latex base) doesn't really stick very well to glass.

it's messy, I'd have a whole roll of paper towels on hand for cleaning stuff up...especially your hands (as I assume you'll be using your finger to press it into the corners/etc)

So I just did some water check son my 125... It's been alil neglected while I put together the 75.... I haven't not done a water change in a month or so.. Tank is super dirty with all kinds of algae and cyano.. Probably cause I used tap water with condition... I have rodi unit now... And my skimmer isn't pulling much out.... By my water parameters are about the same as they were a month ago! Makes me happy lol I'll be filling 75 with 50 percent new rodi water and 50 percent old water.

• 2 weeks later...

well tank is all up and running now... got my skimmer fixed...

livestock list:

Kenya tree

lavender mushroom

condi anemone

GSP

xenia

some type of leather

then the new frags I got from Val ( Jawfish) are a green mushroom, and lots of polyps! Im not exactly sure on names.. and alil more gps! everything is doing great and looks very healthy!

2 soldierfish

large panther grouper

large maroon clown

and 5 domino damsels

PICS:

shio.jpg

hi.jpg

fts-1.jpg

yte.jpg

skimer-1.jpg

• 1 month later...