Dinner etiquette

Holly

We went to have a special dinner out (steakhouse) and they brought a HUGE live (half-frozen) lobster to the tableside.

At the end of the presentation of all the other meats on the tray, the waiter picks up the poor thing and waves it around to show off how big it is. You can see it trying to move it's small legs around. It was covered in frost. (sad)

I was just staring at its little black eye buds imaging what it's been through in the past few weeks (months?) being trolled from the sea, frozen, packed, moved, unpacked, shown, re-frozen, etc.. Crap. It ruined my night. I was so upset by it that I completely lost my appetite and couldn't eat a thing.

Am I the only one that gets upset by this live-lobster thing? I'm not a vegetarian, but this particular scenerio kinda disturbs me now (used to not bother me so much). ???

The restaurant should have had the the courtesy to ask you if the would like to first see the live lobster before just bringing to to your table and waving it in your face. You should either write a complaint or at least make a call to the owner about this.

The presentation you describe, Holly, is at least insensitive, uncouth and unappetizing -- but so is your anthropomorphism. Maybe the lobster liked it. Point is, you cannot possibly know, so feeling sad or sympathetic in this situation is a waste of your emotional energy.

The presentation you describe' date=' Holly, is at least insensitive, uncouth and unappetizing -- but so is your anthropomorphism. Maybe the lobster liked it. Point is, you cannot possibly know, so feeling sad or sympathetic in this situation is a waste of your emotional energy.[/quote']

wow anthropomorphism, I had to look that one up. Dont forget Bob is in this thread, we have to be gentle (laugh) (love ya bob!)

I don't see how anthropomorphizing is "insensitive" or "uncouth" .. If anything, I was overly sensitive, not INsensitive. Uncouth means 'lacking refinement,' and since I didn't leap onto the waiter's head or start frothing at the mouth, I wasn't that either. I didn't really do anything but order the smallest steak. Once it arrived, I realized I'd lost my appetite, so I just took it home.

I did discover at that moment that it IS "unappetizing" to me to be the one to hand-select the animal to be tossed live into boiled water, though...even if it has no true nervous system. So you're right on the unappetizing part.

And yeah, I'm sure the lobster really "LIKED IT" (<--Anthropomorphizing a little there?) :eek:

Twitter, that's a valid point. :D I've always thought lobster was OK-tasting but not fabulous enough to warrant the price for it, anyway. I never order it cuz other stuff always sounds better to me, but that's just my own taste. It also seems kinda wasteful because such a tiny portion of its even edible.

As someone who as on occassion tossed a bushel baskt or two of live Chesapeake Bay Blue Crabs into roiling beer... I shall refrain. (though lobster is okay' date=' and if you're only eating a small part of it, whoever taught you to eat lobster did a poor job )[/quote']

Yeah- I was keeping my mouth shut thinking about all the live dungeness crab I've caught, boiled and eaten.