Viral Disease -- Particularly from Herpes -- Gaining Interest as Possible Cause of Co

Chief

Source: Physorg

March 28, 2012

"It appears the corals that form such important parts of marine ecosystems harbor many different viruses - particularly herpes. And although they don't get runny noses or stomach upset, corals also are home to the adenoviruses and other viral families that can cause human colds and gastrointestinal disease.

read more

More...

I know a guy who was sent to a popular indo vacation spot to figure out why the sps were dying. Turned out it was all the live human herpes virus floating around from the tourists. The government declined to have him publish his findings or further study this phenomenon.

I know a guy who was sent to a popular indo vacation spot to figure out why the sps were dying. Turned out it was all the live human herpes virus floating around from the tourists. The government declined to have him publish his findings or further study this phenomenon.

I strongly believe this is incorrect information. The human herpes virus does not live apart from a human body. If it did, herpes would be transmissible via swimming at popular vacation beaches. Furthermore, the herpes virus that infects corals does not infect humans, though they are a similar virus. This information is from my formal training in fisheries and wildlife disease ecology.

Archived