RBTA question

Mike nickerson

I have had my RBTA for little over a year now and it has never stung me but tonight when I was scraping the glass it reached a

nd stung me in five different spots on my hand what would cause it to do that? Mind you I have touched multiple times in the past and it never stung me.

I have recently started feeding her silversides could that be it I do know it was wild caught so could that be it

If anyone knows why it would just start stinging me

My guess Mike is that sometimes you can start developing more of a sensitivity to them with repeated exposure. I can pick up anemones and do not have any sort of reaction. Beth can't touch them because they sting her and leave burn type lesions so she has to put on gloves when she handles them.

My guess Mike is that sometimes you can start developing more of a sensitivity to them with repeated exposure. I can pick up anemones and do not have any sort of reaction. Beth can't touch them because they sting her and leave burn type lesions so she has to put on gloves when she handles them.

thats interesting you would think that the more you touched it you would get used to it. but yeah it left four blister like burns and the fifth actually took skin off

when was the last time you fed it?

i last her last week i feed once a week

thats interesting you would think that the more you touched it you would get used to it. but yeah it left four blister like burns and the fifth actually took skin off

i last her last week i feed once a week

The immune system is a crazy thing. Sometimes with repeated exposures to something the body can be more sensitized to it. I know Isaac of the coral mafia had the same issue. He got more and more sensitive as he handled more corals.

The immune system is a crazy thing. Sometimes with repeated exposures to something the body can be more sensitized to it. I know Isaac of the coral mafia had the same issue. He got more and more sensitive as he handled more corals.

yes it is and i heard about that

yeah...your body is in no way prepared nor conditioned to ever interact with the toxins found in anemones and stuff. Maybe feed more often. I feed mine every 3 days.

no its not but there are people who get bit by venomous snakes and create an immunity to the toxins like Kim said the immune system is a crazy thing and i will try that i only fed him once a week because i didn't know if it would be to much bio-load since my tank is mainly acros and montis now

yes it is and i heard about that

no its not but there are people who get bit by venomous snakes and create an immunity to the toxins like Kim said the immune system is a crazy thing and i will try that i only fed him once a week because i didn't know if it would be to much bio-load since my tank is mainly acros and montis now

Agreed....all I am sayibg is there is no way to know how one is going to react from a sting or something like this from an anemone....some do fine....some don't

I wouldn't say that feeding it more is going to do anything about it stinging you. The nematocysts (the cells that sting) of the anemone are always present and fire upon contact with anything. What's changing is, as Kim said, you're immune response to the antigen (the toxin) that's introduced to your skin by the nematocysts. This same kind of thing happens with bee stings, shell fish sensitivities, nut allergies and a whole host of other things. Basically, it's an auto-immune reaction that gets out of control. It's the same thing that can lead to anaphylaxic shock that needs to be corrected with an epi-pen and emergency treatment pronto. The more you're exposed, the worse it could get. I would recommend the use of gloves from now to limit your exposure to the toxin. The immune system either protects you or kills you. :)

I wouldn't say that feeding it more is going to do anything about it stinging you. The nematocysts (the cells that sting) of the anemone are always present and fire upon contact with anything. What's changing is' date=' as Kim said, you're immune response to the antigen (the toxin) that's introduced to your skin by the nematocysts. This same kind of thing happens with bee stings, shell fish sensitivities, nut allergies and a whole host of other things. Basically, it's an auto-immune reaction that gets out of control. It's the same thing that can lead to anaphylaxic shock that needs to be corrected with an epi-pen and emergency treatment pronto. The more you're exposed, the worse it could get. I would recommend the use of gloves from now to limit your exposure to the toxin. The immune system either protects you or kills you. :)[/quote']

i will definitely use gloves whenever i am near my rose, don't want to be going into anaphylxic shock anytime soon lol

I'll try to not re-hash people's comments, but poison oak is the same way. naturally, it's not actually a bad thing and the oil is just an oil. at some point we are exposed to it along with something our immune system recognize as trauma (a slight abrasion/bruise/whatever) and it then starts seeing the otherwise-benign material as dangerous. It's not really avoidable as the 'trauma' can be pretty much undetectable and still be enough to start the learning process. then (as stated), the immune reaction starts amplifying with every subsequent exposure. if you go long enough (months/years) without exposure, the immune response will usually diminish somewhat, but never go away and if you start getting exposed again, it will re-amplify very heartily.

gloves are recommended once you notice a response fo sho.

I'll try to not re-hash people's comments, but poison oak is the same way. naturally, it's not actually a bad thing and the oil is just an oil. at some point we are exposed to it along with something our immune system recognize as trauma (a slight abrasion/bruise/whatever) and it then starts seeing the otherwise-benign material as dangerous. It's not really avoidable as the 'trauma' can be pretty much undetectable and still be enough to start the learning process. then (as stated), the immune reaction starts amplifying with every subsequent exposure. if you go long enough (months/years) without exposure, the immune response will usually diminish somewhat, but never go away and if you start getting exposed again, it will re-amplify very heartily.

gloves are recommended once you notice a response fo sho.

yeah i knew about the poison ivy its interesting how it amplifies after every exposure

Archived