Sad nem :(

Gilliroo

My GBTA took a short walk last week and ended up getting into a fight with a frogspawn. I thought the frogspawn had lost because it was missing a head. The GBTA has been looking worse every day, though.

Is there anything I can do to help it recover? It's got its tentacles pulled in and its mouth was open this morning, though it's closed now.

Ideas?

Thanks,

Gillian

Oh, I separated them immediately, as soon as I found them touching. But ever since then, the GBTA has been looking sadder and sadder each day. It pulled into the shade of a rock and hasn't looked normal in a week. In one spot, the tentacles are completely shriveled. I assume that's where it got stung by the frogspawn.

I fed a little oyster feast tonight, but I'm not sure if it ate any. GBTAs are tough, right? If my water params are good, it should recover? I hope?

Thanks for the advice.

Gillian

Oh, I separated them immediately, as soon as I found them touching. But ever since then, the GBTA has been looking sadder and sadder each day. It pulled into the shade of a rock and hasn't looked normal in a week. In one spot, the tentacles are completely shriveled. I assume that's where it got stung by the frogspawn.

I fed a little oyster feast tonight, but I'm not sure if it ate any. GBTAs are tough, right? If my water params are good, it should recover? I hope?

Thanks for the advice.

Gillian

It depends on where you got the GBTA. I find the tank raised ones you get from other reefers are heartier. When we bought the biocube that was full of maxi minis and rbtas and 2 gbtas. The only thing we lost when we moved the tank here was a GBTA. We also bought another one from reefs2go and it has remained hidden inside the rocks. It is alive but pale and I squirt food at it. Keep an eye on it because when they do go badly, they become a murky toxic mess of goo and can contaminate the tank. I have found more luckier with the smaller anemones I have gotten is putting them in our "maxi-mini" condo so they can be isolated from vigorous hosting and I can feed them and let them get bigger and more acclimated before putting them in the anemone tank. Don't give up hope though because I have had a few that looked like they were going to die but pulled through.

Thanks Kim! Fortunately it's in a spot that's very accessible, so I can keep trying to feed it.

If it does start to die, is it obvious when to take it out? Like, it'll look like its melting? Right now it's just retracted. Maybe it's mostly just PO'd, and it will be ok. :)

Gillian

Thanks Kim! Fortunately it's in a spot that's very accessible, so I can keep trying to feed it.

If it does start to die, is it obvious when to take it out? Like, it'll look like its melting? Right now it's just retracted. Maybe it's mostly just PO'd, and it will be ok. :)

Gillian

Yeah usually it starts looking more gelatinous. Just so you know though we have lost nems and weren't able to get them out and in our tank with the skimmer there were no problems. Good luck Gills!

Archived