cleaning coraline off used tanks

reef165

Muriatic acid is a form of hydrochloric acid. It is pretty potent for just cleaning off coraline algae. Unless you have experience with concentrated acids, I would not recommend using it. In any case, please, please, please be careful, and use protective gear. It can cause blindness if you get it in your eyes. and burns on your skin. Wear old clothes because they will get holes in them (I lose go through 2 or three pairs of pants and one or two shirts a year due to acid).

If you want some, I have a partway used gallon of it in my basement that I am not going to use. Let me know and it can be yours. :)

dsoz

Muriatic acid is a form of hydrochloric acid. It is pretty potent for just cleaning off coraline algae. Unless you have experience with concentrated acids, I would not recommend using it. In any case, please, please, please be careful, and use protective gear. It can cause blindness if you get it in your eyes. and burns on your skin. Wear old clothes because they will get holes in them (I lose go through 2 or three pairs of pants and one or two shirts a year due to acid).

If you want some, I have a partway used gallon of it in my basement that I am not going to use. Let me know and it can be yours. :)

dsoz

thankyou, how much does this stuff cost? would i use the cost up in gas driving over to get it? does the viniger work well?

Ya, it is pretty powerful stuff. The fumes alone will knock you back and damage your lungs if you are not careful. Vinegar should work, but it will take longer.

If you go with the muriatic acid, be careful. Don't breathe near it. Hold your breath until you take a few steps away. And don't get any on you or in your eyes! Ask at home depot for the muriatic acid, and they will tell you where to find it. It was less than $10 for 2 gal. I only used one when I was cleaning and etching my concrete.

Good luck. Start with the vinegar, and if that does not work, get the MA.

dsoz

Any pool or spa retailer has it as well. Just be careful with it like every one else mentioned. I messed with that stuff when I was a kid in my dad's pool equipment. Serious vapors is all I have to say!!!

You might try the vinegar first with some heavy soaking and gentle scrubbing with the correct pads. Do the non- display tank equipment first to see how it turns out.

I got a breeder tank setup a while back, 9 tanks 3 wide and 3 tall, it was covered in coraline, tried scraping, tried a few other things (acrylic tanks) eventually the EASIEST way was soak a shop towel in vinegar let sit for 30 min and it simply wiped clean.

Gloves

And on top of all the other protective clothes-wear, make sure you get some heavy duty gloves that are resistant to concentrated HCl.

I bought 2 gallons and gloves to clean my tank (covered with Corallin algae) but when my wife read the label, she pretty much asked me to treat this as we were fumigating the house. Since I could not move the tank out and did not really want the kids to be exposed to the fumes , I decided to bypass the process and just refill the tank after letting all the algae dry out. It is taking more time but after fiilling the tank and by applying flow directly on it, most of the spots are disolving, flaking and disappearing. It is taking time...but no one got heart in the making!;)