Help !! Hippo Tang is sick

Reefsickness

My Med size Hippo Tang has been in my tank for 2 months and hes has been fine. To night he has a cloudy eye and looks like large white flakes on his body. Ive delt with ick befor but these flakes are a lot larger looks more like little bugs.

any ideals what it may be?

And how do you treat him when hes in a Reef Tank with lots of rock?

Reefsickness

sounds like flat worms to me they can be on the fishes eyes as well the only way I know to take care of them is to get him out of the tank then you need to dip him in fresh RODI water for about 3 to 5 min. Make sure the water is the same temp as the tank water and you will see them start to flake off like crazy. Also you can add a little kalkwasser to the RODI water to get the PH up a little so it stresses the fish out less. After the dip remove him and put him back into the saltwater and he will look bad at first but in about 5 or so minutes he will come back to life like nothing happened and be much better off without the flatworms.

Have you tried Selsun Blue ;)

It could just be from the fish scratching into rocks at night or it could be some sort of parasite, but a picture will really help identify the problem.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Ill get a pic up tomorrow

Not to hijack, bit is there anything more terrifying than dropping a sick reef fish that costs $50+ into non-cycled, non-salted water?

I'd feel so bad that I'm just torturing the poor thing...I don't like drinking saltwater, so it can't enjoy fresh, right?

Haha oh jeez. Kids dont like taking cough syrup either....thats why i am the boss and they are the fish. I would not recommend ro water. Too oure. Just regular declorinated tap water with pH up to get to tank ph. You dont want temp and pH shock. You do want freshwater shock, that is the point. I would take a freshwater bath over a formaldehyde bath anyday. Cycle doesnt matter its like 5 mins. You are torturing if you dont do anything

Haha oh jeez. Kids dont like taking cough syrup either....thats why i am the boss and they are the fish. I would not recommend ro water. Too oure. Just regular declorinated tap water with pH up to get to tank ph. You dont want temp and pH shock. You do want freshwater shock' date=' that is the point. I would take a freshwater bath over a formaldehyde bath anyday. Cycle doesnt matter its like 5 mins. You are torturing if you dont do anything[/quote']

true...intelectually I understand, but emotionally it's hard...

Archived