the infamous 'pods?

JeffP

I have no picture, but was looking in my tank last night and was cursing the lack of bugs...then I looked closely on the glass and saw a snotload of small brine shrimp looking things squiggling about - some even playing a game of chicken with my Turbo's mouth. I'm guessing these bad boys are the pods I've been looking for 2 months for. (laugh) Here I thought they'd be larger - guess not! And actually, mixed in with the small guys was a longish (like 0.5cm) worm looking thing, still too small for my naked eye to pick out any details though... i'm guessing some other type of beneficial bug.

If they are pin-prick size they are copepods. The larger ones (the size of one of these letters) that you think you should have are amphipods. Both are good. My tank is only a month old. I did see one of them swimming around after adding my LR. If I don't see a lot more of them when summer gets here I am going to order some. If a LFS can't get them from me, I'll probably go with IPSF, and do a 9 for $99 special. I would probably super-size the order to get some of the freebies (micro-stars, sandbed clams, leather corals, etc.) Right now is too soon.

Dsoz :)

it's a 60G tank, but I'm going to hold off for quite a while on the mandarin. I want to set up a fuge before I even consider getting one of those beauties.

Yeah, I did see an amphipod a while back, and saw some dead ones (or molted shells) last time I basted my LR before a water change. I was planning on ordering the 99 special from IPSF as well, then last night when I saw all these bugs I changed my mind a bit. Not to mention, I scored some spaghetti worms as hitchers on some Hydnophora a couple weeks ago, and those are cool to watch too.

Oh, so this is funny - I was looking in my tank the other day and I saw something that struck me as really odd. It was a hermit between homes, all wimpy and lonely looking. There are empty shells for him to move into, but then the next day he was STILL homeless and more surprisingly alive. They look pretty creepy when not in the shell.

I just added a mandarin to help control the pods in my tank. They were everywhere! Some spots were so dense that zoas frags were staying closed because of the pods walking all over them all day.

nice problem to have though... how heavily do you feed?