Question about what to do with the sand in a tank move

Gilliroo

We're gearing up to move all of our livestock to a new tank this weekend. I'm not sure what the best plan is for the sand. Our current tank has a 1.5-2" fine aragonite sand bed. Should I try to move the sand to the new tank? Rinse it and move it over? Or should I start with new sand and seed it with a few cups of the old?

Our current setup is in really good shape, with no nuisance algae or cyano, and the sand looks really clean. I'd like to minimize whatever cycle we're going to get. What's the best plan?

Thanks!

Gillian

The old sand may look clean, but when you get to the bottom... Watch out.

If there are any "dead spots" it will turn the sand a black color (sulfide reacts with the calcium in the sand) and it will smell of rotten eggs. Furthermore, any sulfide is toxic to most things you like to keep in your tank. When you move all the stuff, don't stir up the sand until everything living is out, then go to town stirring up the sand and you will see tons of detritus and you will probably smell the sulfide... YUCK! Unless it is cleaned well, you will be putting all that junk in your new tank. Probably not what you want to do. Do yourself a favor and get new sand, but seed it with some of the TOP LAYER of your old sand. Don't get any gunk, and if it is black then throw it out!!!!

Good luck with the move. :)

dsoz

Jason, the former owner of Coral Reef - someone who most of us trusted wholeheartedly, once told me to smell the sand.

After you have emptied most of the water from your tank, take a scoop of sand with your hand from from the bottom and smell it. Do this in several places. If it smells like the beach, it's ok to re-use. Do NOT rinse it as you will lose all of the beneficial stuff in the sand.

However, if it smells like rotten eggs, toss it and start with new. You can re-use this bad sand after you have rinsed it thoroughly and let it completely dry out by spreading it on a tarp in the sun.

I used this method for two tank upgrades and did not lose a single piece of livestock.

Archived