Corals Inflate to Escape Being Buried Alive in Sand

Chief

They do more than just inflate. I have witnessed them flip themselves right side up. They inflate themselves towards the current and use the current to flip themselves back over. They also move around in my tank to adjust to light. They are really a dynamic coral. My fav!

So whats the consensus' date=' you guys think they aren't mushroom coral? I admit the video does loog like a fungia, but it could also be a mushroom[/quote']

Maybe I am wrong...but sure looked like a Fungia to me, people tend to call corals different things in other parts of the world, I noticed this was a BBC (Europe) talking about an Australian Researcher, so maybe they call Fungia..."Mushroom Corals" down under or over the pond...I have no idea, but I have never seen a Mushroom (what we here in the states call a round Soft Coral) inflate like that, but I have seen Fungia do it many times, of course I don't bury mine in sand to watch it do this...lol

My vote is Fungia (Plate coral)...not what we call or think of as Mushroom coral/Soft coral.....I just thought it was funny cuase I have never heard anyone call a Plate/Fungia Coral a Mushroom Coral before...

Upon rereading the article, I know its not a Mushroom (Soft Coral) and for sure its a Fungia...This describes it perfectly...

Unlike many of the more familiar branching and "staghorn-type" corals, mushroom corals have a relatively thick layer of fleshy tissue on top of their tough calcium carbonate skeleton.

Fleshy Tissue on top of thier tough Calcium Carbonate Skeleton= LPS/Fungia, Interesting that they call Fungia/Plate Corals..."Mushroom Corals"...Never heard that one before...

Yeah, as soon as I read the "the carbonate skeleton" part I decided it wasn't a mushroom, and the next best descriptor would be a fungia.

I think we should do this experiment in the TFT tank in our classroom at Lakeridge. Now we just need some fungia corals (scratch)

Archived