Opinions on quietest return pump

Gilliroo

What the heck. I upgraded my sump and skimmer last week, I need to replace my tank now-- why not upgrade the return pump too?

I have a Blueline 40 external return pump. Pros: it produces a lot of flow (790 gph, I think), it's super reliable and easy to service, and it doesn't heat my system up. I have never had a problem with this pump. Cons: it does have a hum. Blueline pumps are supposed to be very quiet, so I think this is a case of my being sensitive to sound, and not that I have a noisy pump.

What's the quietest external pump you've come across? I could get away with a smaller pump if I wanted to, since I have a pair of vortechs to move water. In fact, I think the Blueline is overkill for my system. All of the pump reviews say their pumps are "nearly silent." Which ones are really, really quiet?

Thanks,

Gillian

Can you recommend a slightly smaller pump? My Blueline is rated at 790 GPH, and it's a little more than we need. Something that can be turned down would work, too, but I think the 1000+ GPH pumps are going to be too much pump for us.

Thanks,

Gillian

Archived