should i get this?

g81

im needing a light

i have a metalhalide that gets way to hot. i have a hood, that i have to keep on the tank.

i was looking at this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/36-234W-T5-HO-Aquarium-Light-Hood-LCD-Timer-Coral-Reef-6x39-Fluorescent-Actinic-/370573909640?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5647ed1e88

would you be able to keep corals? i dont have hard corals..

honest opinon please. i know its a cheap ebay light.. i dont have 600 bucks to buy a decent one.

Those are ok. It's just an oddesey light. It will do soft corals just fine, just keep in mind you get what you pay for. My parents have one of these types on their tank and lost a few bulbs right away, and the ballasts are not that great but it would do the job

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

You should get this for your tank, comes with bulbs of your choice. Which you could get a GE 6500k, ati blue plus x2, and a ati purple plus.

http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Fluorescent/Sunlight_Supply/Tek_Light_Fixtures/48_inch__4x54W_Tek_Light_T5_High-Output_Fixture_w!_Bulbs_(Black)_by_Sunlight_Supply

++++++1 on this .... Better deal all the way around.

I think most of us can agree, spend now or spend later! It is better to spend more money upfront for a much better product because you'll end up spending more money in the long run if you buy something that is average. Just my two cents. Can you raise your hood or put a fan in it that can decrease the heat?

I have a 36 inch teck light like the one in the link for sale, it is the one from Jess ( Mick the former member shot her in the head and I'm trying to sell off all her tank stuff) it is a 6 bulb, some of the bulbs are a little old, and the reflector has a little pitting on it, comes with hanging mounts, for $160

I have a 36 inch teck light like the one in the link for sale' date=' it is the one from Jess ( Mick the former member shot her in the head and I'm trying to sell off all her tank stuff) it is a 6 bulb, some of the bulbs are a little old, and the reflector has a little pitting on it, comes with hanging mounts, for $160[/quote']

1st off.... what? Mick the former member shot her in the head?

and is 160 a good deal being i have to replce bulbs and posibly the reflector? like i said i dont know much about this stuff. i like the 6 light version over the 4 ofcourse. do these require a ballast?

i forgot to say, my tank is acrylic not glass so most of the top of the tank but two center spots are cover in acrylic wich stops alot of the light.

wich is another reason i was curious if the t5's would be ok compared to the mh.

and is 160 a good deal being i have to replce bulbs and posibly the reflector? like i said i dont know much about this stuff. i like the 6 light version over the 4 ofcourse. do these require a ballast?

Lighting is almost the spendiest part of this hobby, and both Garret and reef165 are good people to do business w/. A 6bulb T-5 setup should penetrate the tank well enough for soft corals. T-5s also produce less heat.

The fixture is fine, the pitting on the reflectors isn't terable, and the bulbs, some are old, some are newer, so ya dont halfto get all new bulbs, on a 6 bulb, I like to start at the first bulb and replace it, then every 2 monthes replace the one behind it so that at the end of the year ya start with the one up front again. $160 is a great price, compaired to the $360 for the new one

If you aren't going to use a 48 in, you will def want the 6 bulb one, and 160 for one is a great price, plus ed is a great guy.

I have a tek elite 6bulb in my 40b thread in my sig and run these bulbs.

Bulbs for the light are back to front

Ati Blue plus

Ati Blue Plus

Ati Aqua blue special

GE 6500k

Ati Purple Plus

Ati Blue plus

And the colors are great

do you have any fans built into your hood? a 6" fan runs around $40 I installed 2 on my system and brought the temp down 10 deg now my heater has to work to keep my system at 79 deg. Iam running (2) 400w and (1) 150w MH

yes i have a 10" clip on fan in the rear of my hood that helps a bit, the reflector i have is 18x18 i didnt even have a reflector before. and now i have a 250watt mh i just tihnk its burning everything up.

thats why i was looking at t5's they run cooler and ive been told they put out comparible light.

The fixture is fine' date=' the pitting on the reflectors isn't terable, and the bulbs, some are old, some are newer, so ya dont halfto get all new bulbs, on a 6 bulb, I like to start at the first bulb and replace it, then every 2 monthes replace the one behind it so that at the end of the year ya start with the one up front again. $160 is a great price, compaired to the $360 for the new one[/quote']

...pm sent

The fixture is fine' date=' the pitting on the reflectors isn't terable, and the bulbs, some are old, some are newer, so ya dont halfto get all new bulbs, on a 6 bulb, I like to start at the first bulb and replace it, then every 2 monthes replace the one behind it so that at the end of the year ya start with the one up front again. $160 is a great price, compaired to the $360 for the new one[/quote']

pm sent.....

pm sent.....

Archived