Friend or foe?

akambience

Sorry for the terrible picture... this little slug (?) is teeny, only about 2x5mm. I noticed it for the first time today crawling around on a single zoa, which hasn't reopened since I removed the critter in question from it several hours ago. Any idea what it is?

Thanks,

the wife

[ATTACH]12272[/ATTACH]

post-8098-141867788296_thumb.jpg

If you can remove your zoa colonies easily I would dip in fresh r/o water. Put the colonies/frags in the r/o water and swoosh them around then let them sit for like 5 min. This will kill everything on the frag except the zoas and any eggs still on them. You may have to repeat this every week until all of the eggs are gone. This method has always worked for me.

OK, will do that tonight. It was on a frag we got from a less-then-popular LFS, I'm even going to try and pick up a Melanursus wrasse this week. I'll be sure to look very closely for eggs next time! Would a CoralRX dip have prevented this? Are there other wrasses that will do the job that aren't jumpers? because we have an open top. Thanks again for your advice!

Yeah coralrx would work also. Some even suggest iodine. Plain old fresh r/o always worked for me. It is amazing what will fall off the frag and die. I would only suggest getting a fish to combat pests if you really like the fish. Fish are always a shot in the dark and you will be stuck with the fish or have to try and catch it if it doesn't eat the nudis.

Archived