cycling my 125 fowlr question

jmetz32

ill be setting up my 125 fowlr on thursday...

i was going to start with around 80 lbs of live rock, 20 lbs of base rock..

then around 50 lbs of live sand, and about 160 lbs of dead sand..

how long before i can beginning adding fish?

is the cycling time cut down because of the live sand and rock?

thanks

Probably 4 weeks minimum. I know that's not what you want to hear, and it's no fun looking at a box of water for a month. Sometimes it goes faster than 4 weeks, but that is a good benchmark. Try to rush it and you'll stress the fish and get started off on a bad foot. Patience is the key to success in this hobby. Rushing things only leads to disaster.

You should be checking:

1) Ammonia

2) Nitrates

3) Nitrites

At least every other day. Once all of these read 0 and you have a steady ph of ~8.2, then you can add fish.

Good luck.

When I was fist starting up my tank it was suggested that I put a chunk of shrimp in the sand bed to start the cycle. This was to avoid putting in a victim fish to start off the bio load. I am still farily new to saltwater so I hope some one else chimes in here but in my experiece it work out very well.

i did the same thing when i started my 240G. I threw in two prawns from costco into a filter bag with some rock rubble then just waited a week then threw the whole bag away. Then just watched my ammonia spike then nitrites then nitrates and waited for ammonia and nitrites to read 0 then did a water change and also wait for the diatoms to cover and go away.

GENERALLY, starting with some love rock or live sand will help your tank cycle faster. But each tank is different. 4 weeks with starting out with some live stuff is a good ballpark guess, but ultimately your tank will be the one to tell you how long it takes.

Pex

Sent from the droid you're looking for.

welll tank has begun to get green and brown algae growth already...

is this a good sign that means tank is coming along quickly or normal to be there already?

thanks

Sounds about right from my experience. You may want to turn your lights off or have a shorter light cycle until you are ready for a clean up crew, Just a thought.

will do... so question!

im trading my 56 acrylic setup for a bigger tank tomorrow..

the 56 is currently up and running with some fish in it...

i need to tear it down to trade it... if i added my sump from the established 56 and all the rock and sand... to the 125 system.. plus all the water from the 56...

would i be able to move the fish from the 56 to the 125 then trade the 56?

please help!

Archived