Classroom Science

My marine biology class starts in a week and I have one set of coral we will be doing calculations on comparing growth rates.

Right now I have two species of Gorgonian.

IMG_3977.jpg

If anyone is doing any clippings or have any millis or zoos or anything good for growth rate comparison and want to donate them let me know. Roger said he'd pick anything up for me at the meeting. I'd like to put the results up online, or start a blog so you can see how things are going. I'm even up for any other experiments you might have in mind. Let me know.

Robbie

No problem' date=' trying to cut them back as it is. They grow really fast so they should be great for your project. Can you pick them up at Garret's fri?[/quote']

Sure I can pick them up at Garretts. If you want to leave them there or something I'll swing over there after school is out. Thanks.

I dont know if your class is interested in any native marine life, but I have several colonies of Oregon caught tigriopus californicus that I've been growing out since last summer.

Lots of other native coldwater stuff too, but the tigriopus dont need anything but room temp water and some nori to keep going.

Shhhh it's okay Stew you can call them Tigger pods just don't post it in the title....(laugh). Mr S will be at the meeting next weekend so if someone can get them to us next Saturday I will be happy to pass along the Tigger pods!

I dont know if your class is interested in any native marine life, but I have several colonies of Oregon caught tigriopus californicus that I've been growing out since last summer.

Lots of other native coldwater stuff too, but the tigriopus dont need anything but room temp water and some nori to keep going.

yeah that sounds great, I already have some nori so that should work out great!

I don't have a cold water system down here. I had one up in seattle when I taught there. I think it was a 300 gallon setup. It was beautiful. We even had an octopus in it!

I don't have a cold water system down here. I had one up in seattle when I taught there. I think it was a 300 gallon setup. It was beautiful. We even had an octopus in it!

I got a Giant Pacific Octopus right now :)

I'll try and get a 2 liter of tigs to someone going to the meeting for you guys, I figured they are something you can measure growth in as well :)

if your looking for anything in particular let me know happy to ship to Roger or directly to you

I'm not picky, something that grows quickly would be good as my class only goes for about five months. Maybe some zoos or millipora's. Something that is easily fragable might be cool too so that later on I can teach the kids about fragging. Thanks again for your support! I'm super excited to get the kids going!

Archived