PH won't stay up

Kasasah

The dkh is at 10 and i've been using the Kent Marine superbuffer dkh and it's not keeping my PH stable... Calcium is 420, ammonia is 0, nitrate 0, and nitrite 0. The PH will only go to 8.0 at most and in the mornings is 7.8 which i know is normal because i don't have a 24hr fuge light. Should i use a PH booster or get the alkalinity up a little more?

use some baked baking soda to buffer...it has a tendency to keep ph around 8.3 at proper levels and drops to 8.0-8.1 at night...

7.8 is pretty low, past the point of good returns on growth. And if it is down that low for 10 hours or more you are missing out on some prime growth time. People like to run elevated levels on just about everything it seems, if you do that, you would want pH to be to different. Balance is just as important as levels

If the CO2 level in your house is high, you will not be able to get the pH up for long. Because when you get the pH up, it will only be temporary as the CO2 in the air will disolve in the water and bring the pH down. This is what is making the oceans more acidic. Check the Chemistry forum at Reef Central to verify.

If the CO2 level in your house is high' date=' you will not be able to get the pH up for long. Because when you get the pH up, it will only be temporary as the CO2 in the air will disolve in the water and bring the pH down. This is what is making the oceans more acidic. Check the Chemistry forum at Reef Central to verify.[/quote']

Agreed! There are ways to bring air inside or going to a co2 scrubber. 7.8 to 8.0 is not terrible. Your DKH should not go higher. If anything it may be beneficial going lower. Instead of using Kent I would go to soda ash for the economics.

Archived