GSP and a Leather

Jeramy

I have a good sized colony of GSP in my tank that has just been growing like ganbusters huge polyps great collor it was staying open well after the lights off and coming back out befor the lights came back on in the morning. That is until about 5 days ago it only opened up about half way and then the next day it has not opened at all sense. In the case of my leather it is a green polyped toadstool that has always had great polyp extension and good color. At times it would close up for no apparent reason then open back up but I was told that they can be finicky. well it has been closed for over a week now with no activity at all. the top looks really shiny and slick when normaly it would have more a of a flat texture rather then the glossed over look it has had. My salinity is and has been 1.025 my amo trites and trates all measure 0 as well as my phosphates I do weekly 15% water changes and the temp has been stableized 77-78 should I be concerned . I was not so worried about the leather as I was about the gsp . thanks for your Help =)

As long as your water parameters are spot on I wouldn't worry about it. They will both come back just fine. It's pretty hard to kill off either of those types of corals. I had a similar issue with my old toadstool closing up for up to three weeks and it started to spawn babies like crazy after that.

Sounds like your leather is getting ready to shed. My guess on the GSP is that something fell on it' date=' maybey a snail??? I wouldn't worry about it. Just my 2cents[/quote']

I completely agree with Gill more than likely something fell or disturbed the gsp and if you just put in some xenia they are known to put out toxins or chemicals whatever you want to call it that will disturb other corals near them

Archived