55g Standard

Raamiah

So I'll keep the story short but back in 2010 I started my first saltwater tank and had fish and coral and everything going great only to find out 6 months later that I was going to be out of a job by the end of the year which caused me to relocate from CA to WA.

I have been out of the hobby for a year and am setting the tank up in my office instead of at home. I'm really excited about this.

My question I have is that I only have 1 Koralia 3 in my tank and I was told that was enough but now I'm thinking I need more or at the very least an opposing flow from another powerhead. I know there isn't an exact science and I'll get different opinions but I wanted everyone's thoughts on (about) how much more flow I should be looking at getting.

What I had before and am looking at again will be fish, and some coral: I had some AOG, frogspawn, mushrooms, and would be intersted in more zoas and palys. Thought that might help in figuring out amount of flow.

I'm hoping to have the tank cycling by the new year after getting the powerhead(s) and other equipment for Christmas.

Thanks in advance!

I'll post some pics of when it was set up in CA if you want.

• 2 weeks later...

So I was cleaning my equipment to get it ready to start up my tank and when I took the impeller out of my accela pump I noticed that it was so corroded that it broke near one end. Accela only sells replacement pumps and not parts for it (probably because it's so cheap). Does anyone have any experience with this? Right now I'm attempting to reattach just for the heck of it but I'm going to go to the hardware store to try to match the metal rod with something and give that a try. Any other thoughts?

I would think you would need at least another Koralia 3 if not two. Maybe place one on each side and one on the back wall? good luck with the tank setup.

So I'll keep the story short but back in 2009 I started my first saltwater tank and had fish and coral and everything going great only to find out 6 months later that I was going to be out of a job by the end of the year which caused me to relocate from CA to WA.

I have been out of the hobby for a year and am setting the tank up in my office instead of at home. I'm really excited about this.

My question I have is that I only have 1 Koralia 3 in my tank and I was told that was enough but now I'm thinking I need more or at the very least an opposing flow from another powerhead. I know there isn't an exact science and I'll get different opinions but I wanted everyone's thoughts on (about) how much more flow I should be looking at getting.

What I had before and am looking at again will be fish, and some coral: I had some AOG, frogspawn, mushrooms, and would be intersted in more zoas and palys. Thought that might help in figuring out amount of flow.

I'm hoping to have the tank cycling by the new year after getting the powerhead(s) and other equipment for Christmas.

Thanks in advance!

I'll post some pics of when it was set up in CA if you want.

for the softies/lps, I've seem to hear 20-30x is good flow, but the key is turbulence. you don't want your poor frogspawn bent over in the current. I'd get a pair of controllable koralia 2 or 3s. have them alternate from the ends of the tank (pointed towards each other), put your current koralia 3 wherever. if you had it with 2 more k3's, you'd have about 1700gph (cause one of them runs at a time plus your current one that's always on) which in a 55 is 30x, if you did it with 2 k2's instead, you're at about 26x

what would guys say to a k evo 1050 running in the opposite direction of the k3?

That would work for now. It kind of depends on what corals you end up with and your rock work configuration. But with those two PH's its defentily a good start.

Well I spent most of Sunday cleaning everything out. After a year of sitting in boxes and after a hasty tear down in CA I had a lot of cleaning to do. I'm getting it all set to hopefully start cycling the tank in January. It was a whole lot of fun between the vinegar water the rag and the razor blade. I didn't have many issues with the salt or algae on the tank but the corraline algae on the equipment was a lot of work to get off.

Here is a pic of the equipment being cleaned.

6437115925_1c51541573.jpg

Here is a pic of my tank shortly after getting my BW clowns. Tank was still very young...this was back in maybe April of 2010 before I had to tear it down. I only had the tank set up from February- October of 2010.

6437315313_d1dbdd25fc.jpg

Also while cleaning my equipment I noticed I have a K4 not a K3 and am most likely getting a K Evo 1050 for Xmas. Is that too much flow? That would mean 41x turn over per hour in my 55. If you want to see what I had before as far as inhabitants, and hope to get again see my first post above.

Archived