Auto top-off sensor not working

siskiou

Admittedly, it's almost 4 years old, and has worked without fail, but today it no longer registers. I don't see any calcium build-up, and I've reset the controller, unplugged and replugged the sensor, but no change.

There is a second sensor on a splitter, for my other tank, and that one works just fine.

Any ideas what else I could try, before ordering a replacement?

I bet its the float that went bad. It looks like you could cut the wire right there at the old float assembly where its black coming out of the top of it, then wire in a new float switch. Its just 2 wires, doesn't even matter what colors you connect.

Thanks for offering to help! I might take you up on that, once I have a new float switch. :)

I guess if it turns out to be the cable, I'm out of luck, or can that be easily replaced, too?

Although, I have never seen it in person, I am guessing it is a 6 or 8 pin DIN cable. If the cable is bad, I am sure you can find the pin configration on the web for this. Juat search RC or google it! These can be bought from next step recycling for a couple of dollors and rewire the while thing. But I am with Miles on this one, most likely its the float, which should be an easy fix.

Its just 2 wires' date=' doesn't even matter what colors you connect.[/quote']

I've ordered a switch and will give it a try, once it arrives!

Although' date=' I have never seen it in person, I am guessing it is a 6 or 8 pin DIN cable. If the cable is bad, I am sure you can find the pin configration on the web for this. Juat search RC or google it! These can be bought from next step recycling for a couple of dollors and rewire the while thing. But I am with Miles on this one, most likely its the float, which should be an easy fix.[/quote']

Thanks for explaining! I'll try that, if it turns out to be more than the switch.

Strangely enough, the switch started working again, yesterday, but not reliably enough.

How are all the corals doing? We sold one puppy and have two left! I am ready for the AOG's when ever you wanna bring them over!! YEyah!!

I've lost one (the milli) and the others are doing pretty good. Some are still in quarantine, but a few are in the main tank now. I hope they will be happy and grow!

And when do you have time? Are you around on Friday? Will it be too late for my daughter to see the puppies? :)

• 2 months later...

Just an update: my float switch took weeks to arrive (didn't notice it was from Hong Kong, when I bought it on ebay), and then I was off in Europe.

I finally got around to wiring in the new switch, and it was dead easy! Thanks for all the help!

Oh, and Clay, your AOG frag is still waiting for you! Feel free to swing by when you have a moment! :)

Archived